[comp.unix.aux] SLIP for A/UX

clay@claris.UUCP (Clay Maeckel) (03/30/88)

Has anyone seen or gotten a SLIP implimentation up and running on an
AUX machine?  I have a Sun and AUX machine but the boss is too cheap
to get the ethernet card for the Mac :-)  Please send mail and I'll
post to the net if anything significant happens. Thanks,

--
 Clay Maeckel         *   UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!clay
 (I know nothing!)    *   Arpanet: claris!clay@ames.arc.nasa.gov

josh@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Joshua Stein) (03/30/88)

In article <366@claris.UUCP> clay@claris.UUCP (Clay Maeckel) writes:
>Has anyone seen or gotten a SLIP implimentation up and running on an
>AUX machine?  I have a Sun and AUX machine but the boss is too cheap
>to get the ethernet card for the Mac :-)  Please send mail and I'll
>post to the net if anything significant happens. Thanks,

This brings up a question that I haven't seen answered (implicitly or
explicitly) in the announcements and articles about AUX; does it support
NFS or RFS? (TCP/IP?), etc.
--
							   __
Joshua Stein	Pacific Bell		"Neat Stuff!!"	 / --) koo koo ka choo

gerald@umb.umb.edu (Gerald Ostheimer) (03/31/88)

In article <3058@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> josh@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Joshua Stein)
writes:

>This brings up a question that I haven't seen answered (implicitly or
>explicitly) in the announcements and articles about AUX; does it support
>NFS or RFS? (TCP/IP?), etc.

According to a pamphlet prepared by Apple for an A/UX demonstration at
Northeastern U. last week, A/UX supports NFS and Yellow Pages, TCP/IP (using
the source code from 4.2 and 4.3), and more. Workstation connectivity looks
like a very strong trait in A/UX' personality.
--
Gerald	<gerald@grn.umb.edu>
------------

garrett@udel.EDU (Joel Garrett) (03/31/88)

In article <3058@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> josh@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Joshua Stein) writes:

>This brings up a question that I haven't seen answered (implicitly or
>explicitly) in the announcements and articles about AUX; does it support
>NFS or RFS? (TCP/IP?), etc.

A/UX currently includes support for both TCP/IP and NFS (at least at BSD 4.2
level - actually by direct quote SysV with BSD extension - enough BSD extension
to get NFS, TCP, and most of the other Berkeley goodies to work.

kateley@Apple.COM (Jim Kateley) (03/31/88)

In article <3058@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> josh@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Joshua Stein) writes

>This brings up a question that I haven't seen answered (implicitly or
>explicitly) in the announcements and articles about AUX; does it support
>NFS or RFS? (TCP/IP?), etc.

Version 1.0 of A/UX has B-NET (TCP/IP), NFS, and YP in it.  It comes with
ftp and telnet as well.  I don't know what RFS is so I don't know if A/UX
has it.... :-).  I've used NCSA telnet and the U of M CITI MacIP stuff
to log on to my A/UX boxes from my MacOS MacII, and I've used NFS to
mount directories from one A/UX box to another.  As I get the time,
I plan on setting up a YP server....Hope this helps.
>--
>							   __
>Joshua Stein	Pacific Bell		"Neat Stuff!!"	 / --) koo koo ka choo
>the usual generic disclaimer goes here		        /\ ) )
>(415) 823-2411 uucp:{ihnp4,dual}!phyf!josh      	|   \/ \

--
Jim Kateley          UUCP: {sun, voder, nsc, mtxinu, dual}!apple!kateley
S,P,HnS!             DOMAIN: kateley@apple.COM  Applelink: kateley1

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (03/31/88)

My impression from using A/UX is that it is SysV (streams) based with
TCP/IP and NFS using streams. Since I didn't have anything on a net to
use for a test I am going by the fraction of the manuals I was able to
read in a weekend.

A/UX is *huge*. The version we got was shipped on an 80MB disk, leaving
about 15MB for the user. A 2nd hard disk is really needed, since I
haven't heard that Apple will be shipping on anything larger than 80MB.

Warning: I used A/UX for a weekend, these are my impressions from what I
did and read.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)