[comp.unix.aux] Am I missing...

ack@caldwr.caldwr.gov (David Ackerman) (04/15/88)

In article <8398@oberon.USC.EDU>, bishop@skat.usc.edu (Brian Bishop) writes:
> In article <8075@apple.Apple.Com> phil@apple.UUCP (Phil Ronzone) writes:
>
> >We will take compliments about the product based on hearsay though! :-)
>
>  Those are the only ones you seem to have, so far :-)

I got to play with A/UX for a day at the sales office here in Sacramento not
too long ago. I was impressed with the fact that it took me only 30 minutes to
configure the modem, sendmail.cf, and UUCP setup files and send a succesful mail
message to my system here. To do the same on a Sun took me several hours, and
on an Apollo it took several *days* due to the way they handle serial ports.

On the other hand, it felt extremely sluggish, as well as having the numerous
problems that have already been mentioned by a number of other people, i.e the
Berlin Wall between the Mac OS and A/UX. I see A/UX 1.0 as kind of a "gamma"
release for the developers, so there will be some applications available when
the real release (1.1? 1.2?) comes out. I sincerely hope that someone's post
a while ago talking about Unix not fitting Appple's corporate style is untrue. I
can see Apple's motivation in pursuing the Dec market...after all, there are a
lot of Macs where there is Dec equipment. But they shouldn't relegate Unix to
VMS's backseat. Apple, if this is what's happening, WAKE UP AND SMELL THE
COFFEE. Unix is probably *more* important in the long run, and should at least
be treated with equal respect.

One of the main things Apple needs to do is get a support system in place. This
includes training dealers and having more A/UX support staff. They should also
train their own sales people, who don't even know what market they should be
addressing with A/UX. Does Apple Corporate Sales even know the answer to that
question? I sometimes wonder.

I saw a lot of potential in the version of A/UX I used. But potential doesn't
develop by itself. A/UX should be to the Mac OS what the Roadrunnner is to DOS.
If Apple doesn't understand what I mean, they should go play with a Roadrunner.

David Ackerman
California Department of Water Resources     caldwr!ack@ucdavis.edu  (Internet)
"It's the water, and a lot more..."       ...!ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!ack  (UUCP)

         The opinions expressed above are mine, not those of the State
         of California or the California Department of Water Resources.

jackie@Apple.COM (Hernan'Jackie' Macapanpan) (04/15/88)

In article <347@caldwr.caldwr.gov>, ack@caldwr.caldwr.gov (David Ackerman) writes:

> One of the main things Apple needs to do is get a support system in place.This
> includes training dealers and having more A/UX support staff. They should also
> train their own sales people, who don't even know what market they should be
> addressing with A/UX. Does Apple Corporate Sales even know the answer to that
> question? I sometimes wonder.

	Hello,

	There are things happening here. I can tell you that more and more
	real UNIX geeks (like me :-) ) are joining the ranks at Apple every
	week ( Anyone else interested? :-) ). These people aren't just Apple
	people converted to UNIX, they are experienced people from the UNIX
	world; very talented people.

	There is Sales and Dealer training available. I believe that Apple
	understands the need for A/UX training. This could be (I'm guessing)
	the reason that you're not seeing a huge number of A/UX authorized
	dealers yet. I think Apple wants to make sure that the Sales people
	and Dealers are knowledgable enough to help support the product.
	Dealers go through an evaluation process which they must pass to be
	'crowned' :-) A/UX authorized.

	As for support, Apple has introduced the A/UX Hotline subcription
	program. Folks like me (Oh no! :-) ) answer subcriber's A/UX
	technical information requests.

	I believe that Apple is very serious about A/UX. Please, keep those
	constructive critcisms coming. There ARE people listening.

	Hope this helps.

 Disclaimer: I works heres, buts theys don'ts knows I's cans types. :-)
	Whats I's says iss nots necessarilys whats mys employers says. :-(

Hernan 'Jackie' Macapanpan			      amdahl \
Technical Communications/A/UX Hotline		  pyramid!sun - apple!jackie
Apple Computer, Inc. (408) 996-1010		      decwrl /

antonio@Apple.COM (Antonio Ordonez) (04/16/88)

In article <8337@apple.Apple.Com>, jackie@Apple.COM (Hernan'Jackie' Macapanpan) writes:
> In article <347@caldwr.caldwr.gov>, ack@caldwr.caldwr.gov (David Ackerman) writes:
> >
> > One of the main things Apple needs to do is get a support system in place.This
> > includes training dealers and having more A/UX support staff. They should also
> > train their own sales people, who don't even know what market they should be
> > addressing with A/UX. Does Apple Corporate Sales even know the answer to that
> > question? I sometimes wonder.
>
> 	Hello,
>
> 	There are things happening here. I can tell you that more and more
> 	real UNIX geeks (like me :-) ) are joining the ranks at Apple every
> 	week ( Anyone else interested? :-) ). These people aren't just Apple
> 	technical information requests.

	I know these things are happening, I am one of those UNIX "geeks" like
	Jackie (:-<) and I can tell you, there is a lot of UNIX people coming
	to Apple.

> 	I believe that Apple is very serious about A/UX. Please, keep those
> 	constructive critcisms coming. There ARE people listening.

	You can bet on that.

#include <disclaimer.h> 	/*  I'll think of a better one later  */
Antonio Ordonez				 	      amdahl \
Technical Communications/Direct Response Center	  pyramid!sun - apple!antonio
Apple Computer, Inc. (408) 996-1010		      decwrl /

pajari@grads.cs.ubc.ca (George Pajari) (04/17/88)

Article <347@caldwr.caldwr.gov> by ack@caldwr.caldwr.gov (David Ackerman):
> One of the main things Apple needs to do is get a support system in place.
> This includes training dealers and having more A/UX support staff.

How many people flaming Apple have used the first UNIX system from UNI*Y*,
Hon**w*ll-B**l, NC*, or ...  within sixty days of announcement?
And how did you find their product (if you could get it) or support?

I'm sure A/UX needs work (I'm not commenting since my system isn't here
yet), but I'm also pretty sure it will compare favourably with the early
ships of several other vendors I have had to support.  Let's try for
some perspective.

Perhaps the problem is that Apple's other products have such an avid following
that the expectations are too high and the tolerance for something
which doesn't meet those (unreasonable) expectation is non-existent.

Please tell me what problems I might expect when my system arrives.  Don't
waste net bandwidth venting frustration because the system doesn't meet your
inflated expectations.

regards
George Pajari
(I don't work for/sell Apple stuff) ( :$r std.disclaimer)