[comp.unix.aux] Am I missing something obvious - how do you copy in/out from HFS disks?

bruce@voysys.UUCP (Bruce Beare) (04/05/88)

As the title suggests, I must be missing something entirely obvious. How does
one copy files between Mac-OS (HFS) and A/UX Partitions?

x--x

On a different note, do third party drives (peripheral land in particular)
come up and work with A/UX. Problems include the SCSI driver, formatting, etc.

	Bruce Beare
	Voysys Corporation
	..!pyramid!ctnews!voysys!bruce

earleh@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Earle R. Horton) (04/06/88)

In article <232@voysys.UUCP>, bruce@voysys.UUCP (Bruce Beare) writes:
> As the title suggests, I must be missing something entirely obvious. How does
> one copy files between Mac-OS (HFS) and A/UX Partitions?

     As my summary suggests, this feature is not implemented yet.  There
is an A/UX program "mfs" for copying files to MFS disks.  See the man
page "man mfs" for details.  On the SASH partition of the A/UX system we
got, there is a folder with MacKermit in it--another solution.  If you
really want to get files from the Mac-OS to A/UX fast, then you could
make an 800k MFS disk to use as the transfer medium.  You can make an
800k MFS disk by booting a Mac Plus with System 2.0, then initializing a
disk in it.
*Earle R. Horton, H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755   *

george@vax1.UUCP (George R Boyce) (04/07/88)

In article <232@voysys.UUCP> bruce@voysys.UUCP (Bruce Beare) writes:
>As the title suggests, I must be missing something entirely obvious. How does
>one copy files between Mac-OS (HFS) and A/UX Partitions?

You didn't miss anything. hfs disks are not supported. But, I believe, as
long as you only need to read "top-level" files (files not in folders) you
can use the 'mfs' command. It worked for me.

--
George Boyce, Academic Computing, Cornell University
george@vax1.ccs.cornell.edu (128.84.252.10), george@crnlvax1.bitnet

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (04/09/88)

In article <232@voysys.UUCP> bruce@voysys.UUCP (Bruce Beare) writes:

> As the title suggests, I must be missing something entirely obvious. How does
> one copy files between Mac-OS (HFS) and A/UX Partitions?

According to what I've read, the "obvious thing" you are missing is this:

	A/UX is a schmuck, second-rate, half-baked product.

The reviews I've read complained about this very problem.  It seems
that you must boot MacOS, copy your file to a floppy, boot Unix, and
copy from the floppy back to the hard disk.

Remember *that* next time you talk about Apple's wonderful human interfaces.
--
	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   {uunet,trwrb}!desint!geoff

jackie@Apple.COM (Hernan'Jackie' Macapanpan) (04/12/88)

In article <1711@desint.UUCP>, geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) writes:

> 	A/UX is a schmuck, second-rate, half-baked product.

	Gee, how can I possibly ignore comments as constructive and
	intelligent as this one ? :-)

 Disclaimer: I works heres, buts theys don'ts knows I's cans types.

Hernan 'Jackie' Macapanpan			      amdahl \
Technical Communications/A/UX Hotline		  pyramid!sun - apple!jackie
Apple Computer, Inc. (408) 996-1010		      decwrl /

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (04/12/88)

In article <1711@desint.UUCP>, geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) writes:

> 	A/UX is a schmuck, second-rate, half-baked product.

And Jackie Macapanpan responds with:

>	Gee, how can I possibly ignore comments as constructive and
>	intelligent as this one ? :-)

Ok, Jackie, If I order A/UX from developer services, where do I go to order
update services (as there are only 7 dealers for A/UX in the world with none
of them in CA), how much is the update service, and when will the X Window
System release 11v2 be available, how will updates be sent out (as there is
no support for the apple tape drive) and will Apple be supporting AT&T's
new Look and Feel Graphical User interface for Unix (yes, I know it was only
announced yesterday).

-david

phil@Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone) (04/13/88)

                        ----
>	A/UX is a schmuck, second-rate, half-baked product.

Sticks and stones ... well, gee folks, what Geoff is complaining about is
the lack of an easy to use HFS/UNIX filesystem transfer program. It is
unfortunate that this leads Geoff to conclude that A/UX is a schmuck product.
I guess that since Ultrix does not have a VMS/UNIX filesystem product it too
is a schmuck? :-) Anyway, Geoff, we here in A/UX land ARE interested in what
people have to say about our product, but, well, hem, haw, we does have one
tiny itsy-bitsy request -- please actually USE A/UX beforing complaining
about it. O.K.? I know that it may seem unreasonable. but, well, gee ....

Anyway, mfs and the kermit we supply we think are adequate. Better things
are coming. And we DO want feedback based on actual use -- we DO LISTEN!

We will take compliments about the product based on hearsay though! :-)
Philip K. Ronzone, A/UX Technical Manager                   APPLELINK: RONZONE1
Apple Computer, Mail Stop 27AJ, 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd.  Cupertino, CA  95014
UUCP:  ...!{sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual,unisoft}!apple!phil

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (04/13/88)

Gee, great flames, I hope Apple management appreciates that this kind
of frank back and forth actually improves some of our view of the
product rather than diminishing it, nothing I hate worse than stuffy
corporate replies (or, more typical, silence.) Maybe there is hope :-)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (04/13/88)

>Ok, Jackie, If I order A/UX from developer services, where do I go to order
>update services (as there are only 7 dealers for A/UX in the world with none
>of them in CA),

Why is it that two of them are in middle of nowhere (Tennessee, I believe).
Is this a top secret center of software research, unbeknownst to the world?

If not, then why are they coming up to speed on A/UX before California?!?!!!

BTW, I have *heard* (I haven't used it) that A/UX is a pretty good product.
     (Of course, this is just hearsay.  ;-)

-Ted

jackie@Apple.COM (Hernan'Jackie' Macapanpan) (04/14/88)

In article <17280002@hpsmtc1.HP.COM>,dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) writes:

> Ok, Jackie, If I order A/UX from developer services, where do I go to order
> update services (as there are only 7 dealers for A/UX in the world with none
> of them in CA), how much is the update service, and when will the X Window
> System release 11v2 be available, how will updates be sent out (as there is
> no support for the apple tape drive) and will Apple be supporting AT&T's
> new Look and Feel Graphical User interface for Unix (yes, I know it was only
> announced yesterday).

	Hello,

	The A/UX Software Update Service is available in two flavors.
	Updates can be received in the form of 40-MB tape cartridges or
	on floppy disks. The suggested retail price for each is $750 and
	$1250 respectively. Developers must purchase the update service
	from and authorized A/UX Dealer.

	According to A/UX Product Management, X-Windows release 11v2 will
	may be available in A/UX release 1.1.

	I'm not familiar with AT&T's new Look and Feel Graphical User
	Interface (No one let me read Wall Street yesterday :-) ).

	Hope this help.

 Disclaimer: I works heres, buts theys don'ts knows I's cans types. :-)
     Whats I's says iss nots necessarilys whats mys employers says. :-(

bishop@skat.usc.edu (Brian Bishop) (04/14/88)

In article <8075@apple.Apple.Com> phil@apple.UUCP (Phil Ronzone) writes:
>In article <1711@desint.UUCP> geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) writes:
>>According to what I've read, the "obvious thing" you are missing is this:
>                        ----
>>	A/UX is a schmuck, second-rate, half-baked product.
>
>Sticks and stones ... well, gee folks, what Geoff is complaining about is
>the lack of an easy to use HFS/UNIX filesystem transfer program. It is

[ ....stuff about how no VMS/ULTRIX xfer program exists either...   ]

>is a schmuck? :-) Anyway, Geoff, we here in A/UX land ARE interested in what
>people have to say about our product, but, well, hem, haw, we does have one
>tiny itsy-bitsy request -- please actually USE A/UX beforing complaining
>about it. O.K.? I know that it may seem unreasonable. but, well, gee ....

  Isn't this the product that is available at a handful of dealers in the
whole country (something like 5)??? And you can't mail-order it?
Seems to me like that IS kind of unreasonable!

>We will take compliments about the product based on hearsay though! :-)

 Those are the only ones you seem to have, so far :-)

brian bishop                            ---> bishop@usc-ecl.ARPA
(uscvax,sdcvdef,engvax,scgvaxd,smeagol) ---> usc-skat!bishop.UUCP

"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic
condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity. At some time,
every creature that lives must do so. It is the ultimate shadow, the defeat
of creation; this is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life.
Everywhere in the universe."
                             - Wilbur Mercer, founder of Mercerism

have a nice day fnord.

lalonde@nicmad.UUCP (John Lalonde) (04/14/88)

In article <8075@apple.Apple.Com> phil@apple.UUCP (Phil Ronzone) writes:
>In article <1711@desint.UUCP> geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) writes:
>>	A/UX is a schmuck, second-rate, half-baked product.
>
>Sticks and stones ... well, gee folks, what Geoff is complaining about is
>the lack of an easy to use HFS/UNIX filesystem transfer program. It is
>unfortunate that this leads Geoff to conclude that A/UX is a schmuck product.
>I guess that since Ultrix does not have a VMS/UNIX filesystem product it too
>is a schmuck? :-)
>Anyway, mfs and the kermit we supply we think are adequate.

You should check out a Sun 386i (Road Runner). It handles UNIX/DOS filesystem
transfer operations transparently. One does *not* have to use a UNIX/DOS
filesystem transfer program at all on a Road Runner. If you believe mfs and
kermit are adequate then you should expect other A/UX unhappy campers. I have
test drove a Road Runner and their UNIX/DOS filesystem transparency works. I
am not regurgitating marketing hype read in some tabloid. UNIX and DOS Windows
with the same coherent view of the filesystem. Nice and easy...

When is A/UX going to catch up ?

--
John LaLonde
Systems Engineering Group

honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (04/14/88)

perhaps geoff went off half-cocked ("oh no, i was fully cocked" -- i can
hear it now).  but phil, it's hardly credible to say "we think mfs and
kermit are adequate" and in the next breath that better things are coming.

i'm expect most people agree with geoff that mfs and kermit are inadequate,
and more generally that the i/o and process integration of a/ux with mac
o/s constitutes little more than a curiosity piece, a freak show.

be that as it may, i look forward to the better things coming.

	peter

josh@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Joshua Stein) (04/14/88)

In article <17280002@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) writes:

>................................. how will updates be sent out (as there is
>no support for the apple tape drive)

Guess you just buy a new hard disk ;-) (or does Apple send one out to each
purchaser of AUX ;-) ;-)).
--
							   __
Joshua Stein	Pacific Bell		"Neat Stuff!!"	 / --) koo koo ka choo

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (04/18/88)

In article <8075@apple.Apple.Com> phil@apple.UUCP (Phil Ronzone) writes:

> Sticks and stones ... well, gee folks, what Geoff is complaining about is
> the lack of an easy to use HFS/UNIX filesystem transfer program. It is
> unfortunate that this leads Geoff to conclude that A/UX is a schmuck product.
> I guess that since Ultrix does not have a VMS/UNIX filesystem product it too
> is a schmuck? :-)

You are missing the point, Phil.  DEC does not sell Unix with VMS underlying
it.  Apple *does* sell Unix with an underlying MAC os;  as such, a
fully-baked product would include a *convenient* method of file transfer.
I don't expect Apple to support Mac/Apple-II file transfer any better than
DEC supports Vax/Dec20 transfer (which, BTW, it does quite well...)

As for the "schmuck" and "second-rate" accusations, I'll stand by them.
Anybody who sells an 80 MB disk with a whopping 15 MB of free space is
not thinking things through.  Anybody who sells an OS that you can't buy,
and that you can't buy upgrades for even if you *can* get a copy, is not
even vaguely trying to do a first-rate job.

> please actually USE A/UX beforing complaining
> about it. O.K.? I know that it may seem unreasonable. but, well, gee ....

Why?  I don't have to use a Cray to evaluate its architecture.  I don't
have to use Ada to know that it's a complex language.  And I don't have to
buy a Mac to know that 15 MB isn't enough free space.  We had this same
discussion in comp.windows.misc a couple of months ago.  If my
information is inaccurate, you're welcome to correct it, but don't
expect me to lay out precious dollars to Apple just so you will feel I'm
justified in complaining.

> Better things are coming.

Good.  Someday A/UX will be fully baked.  It would be nice to have a machine
that combined the best of the Mac and Unix.  Let me know when it's not
vaporware.
--
	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   {uunet,trwrb}!desint!geoff

phil@Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone) (04/19/88)

In article <1721@desint.UUCP> geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) writes:
>You are missing the point, Phil.  DEC does not sell Unix with VMS underlying
>it.  Apple *does* sell Unix with an underlying MAC os;  as such, a

To hopefully clear up this popular misconception, A/UX does NOT run on top
of the Mac OS. There is not one iota of Mac OS used in the A/UX kernel
execution. The Mac ROMs are used, by a UNIX process, to do Quickdraw and
Toolbox type things, but we do NOT use the ROMs while in the kernel (one
wrong branch and the Mac OS wakes up ... ugh :-) ). A/UX is totally UNIX,
the front desk bus driver, the SCSI drivers, the floppy drivers, the slot
drivers, the Ethernet drivers, the NVRAM drivers. they are ALL UNIX
typical drivers. Again, NO MAC OS (OS = operating system) code is used
by A/UX, under, on top of, or sideways. Klar?