[comp.unix.aux] A Suggesstion to Apple A/UX & Hypercard

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (04/20/88)

Here is a neat idea for someone at Apple to put together...

How about feeding the man pages for A/UX into a hypercard stack! Add to it
the general gettiing started with A/UX and sys admin, networking, and intro
to the included Unix utilities & programs included with A/UX and distribute
it in comp.binaries.hypercard and post it to Compuserve and Genie
and MacNET. And even distribute it to the used groups around the country.

So....how about it?

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (04/20/88)

>How about feeding the man pages for A/UX into a hypercard stack! ...
>and distribute
>it in comp.binaries.hypercard and post it ...

This is a pretty neat idea, except:
	Unix manual pages are tightly licensed materials.
Usenix had to go through a great deal of negotiating to be able to sell
the 4.3BSD manuals to anyone.  The original restriction was that you had
to prove you had a source license.

	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

rob@uokmax.UUCP (Robert K. Shull) (04/21/88)

In article <17280005@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) writes:
>How about feeding the man pages for A/UX into a hypercard stack! Add to it

The man pages on our system total around 3600k. A/UX's are probably at least
as large (probably more). Now add in the intro stuff, convert it to a
Hypercard stack (ouch), etc. and ...  I don't think I'd want to download
it (especially not at 1200 baud)
--
Robert K. Shull
University of Oklahoma, Engineering Computer Network

cspencer@spdcc.COM (Cliff Spencer) (04/22/88)

In article <17280005@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) writes:
>How about feeding the man pages for A/UX into a hypercard stack! Add to it

It is my understanding that A/UX doesn't even run HyperCard. Is this true?
					-cliff
--
Cliff Spencer
cspencer@spdcc.COM

andrew@ems.Ems.MN.ORG (Andrew C. Esh) (04/24/88)

In article <17280005@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) writes:
>Here is a neat idea for someone at Apple to put together...
>
>How about feeding the man pages for A/UX into a hypercard stack! Add to it
>the general gettiing started with A/UX and sys admin, networking, and intro
>to the included Unix utilities & programs included with A/UX and distribute
>it in comp.binaries.hypercard and post it to Compuserve and Genie
>and MacNET. And even distribute it to the used groups around the country.
>
>So....how about it?

	How about a generic UNIX stack?  I am going to get A/UX, so a
specific stack for it would be useful to me, but for Unix users who
will not be using A/UX, a Unix stack would be more widely recieved.
I can think of no better way to spread the idea of Unix (especially
to the Mac users).
	Whoever has an interest in producing a stack on Unix, with
a probable follow on stack specifically for A/UX, please email me.
Based on the response, I may decide to put together a project.
Anyone interested?

--
Andrew C. Esh        DOMAIN: andrew@ems.MN.ORG     APPLELINK: D0492
EMS/McGraw-Hill      UUCP: ihnp4!meccts!ems!andrew      AT&T: (612) 829-8200