[comp.unix.aux] A/UX, NFS, and remote execution

dan@srs.UUCP (Dan Kegel) (05/13/88)

We'd like to hook a Mac II up to an NFS network, and run programs
on the MacII from another computer without rlogging in.
Does anybody know if A/UX supports Sun's network computing utility called
rexd, an RPC server daemon for remote program execution?

Currenly, all of our computing is done on a mix of Sun workstations tied
together with NFS; we use rexd heavily to allow a primitive sort of parallel
processing.
We're considering buying a RISC slave processor (e.g. the McCray from YARC,
or the 88000 card from Tektronix) and a MacII to plug it into, but
we don't want to do it unless we can control the Mac via the network.
Thanks for any info...
--
  Dan Kegel   "... earn it anew if thou wouldst possess it."  - Goethe: Faust
  srs!dan@cs.rochester.edu  rochester!srs!dan dan%srs.uucp@harvard.harvard.edu

jackie@Apple.COM (Hernan'Jackie' Macapanpan) (05/13/88)

In article <870@srs.UUCP>, dan@srs.UUCP (Dan Kegel) writes:
> Does anybody know if A/UX supports Sun's network computing utility called
> rexd, an RPC server daemon for remote program execution?

	A/UX has the rexecd daemon. It handles rexec calls. Is this what
	you're lookin' for ?

	Hope this helps.

 Disclaimer: I works heres, buts theys don'ts knows I's cans types. :-)
	Whats I's says iss nots necessarilys whats mys employers says. :-(

Hernan 'Jackie' Macapanpan			      amdahl \
Technical Communications/A/UX Hotline		  pyramid!sun - apple!jackie
Apple Computer, Inc. (408) 996-1010		      decwrl /

mh@wlbr.EATON.COM (Mike Hoegeman) (05/16/88)

In article <9846@apple.Apple.Com> jackie@Apple.COM (Hernan'Jackie' Macapanpan) writes:
>In article <870@srs.UUCP>, dan@srs.UUCP (Dan Kegel) writes:
>> Does anybody know if A/UX supports Sun's network computing utility called
>> rexd, an RPC server daemon for remote program execution?
>
>	A/UX has the rexecd daemon. It handles rexec calls. Is this what
>	you're lookin' for ?

rexecd (a deamon supplied in BSD releases) is not the same thing as sun's rexd.
they do the same king of thing (remote execution), but rexd is alot more
sophisticated than rexecd in that rexd preserves alot more of the clients
environment when  executing remotely than rexecd does.

-mike