[comp.unix.aux] X-windows on the Macintosh?

marcus@wdl1.UUCP (Marcus Louie) (05/18/88)

I am trying to gather information on X-windows implementations that are
either available or are being worked on for the Macintosh.  Does anyone
out there know of any companies that are implementing X-windows running
under A/UX or regular Mac OS?  I would appreciate any information.

Thanks in advance,
Marcus Louie
Ford Aerospace Corporation

marcus@ford-wdl1.ARPA
...sun!wdl1!marcus

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (05/19/88)

>either available or are being worked on for the Macintosh.  Does anyone
>out there know of any companies that are implementing X-windows running
>under A/UX or regular Mac OS?  I would appreciate any information.

Apple is.  It is due out this Fall.  It will run under A/UX, but won't be
bundled with it, ==> they'll charge you extra for it.

-T("I heard it from the horse's mouth.")ed

phil@Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone) (05/24/88)

In article <890006@hpcilzb.HP.COM> tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:
>>... Does anyone
>>out there know of any companies that are implementing X-windows running
>>under A/UX or regular Mac OS?  I would appreciate any information.
>
>Apple is.  It is due out this Fall.  It will run under A/UX, but won't be
>bundled with it, ==> they'll charge you extra for it.
>
>-T("I heard it from the horse's mouth.")ed

To make it somewhat more clear. There are projects here in the A/UX group
that get finished just slightly too late for one software release, but is
a project we don't want to make users wait the many months until the next
release to have. So we at Apple have APDA. We can release software through
APDA, and there is often a distribution and documentation charge (dealer prep
extra, your mileage may vary). So we may "kick" a product out initially via
APDA, and then bundled it into the next A/UX release. Or, we may keep it
in ADPA indefinitely if we see it being out of step with A/UX release
schedules. In any case, we don't look to make money from X-windows. We make
money on selling Macintosh II's. And some people will only buy a Mac II if
it has UNIX, which is why we did A/UX. And some people will only use A/UX
if it has X-windows.

--
Philip K. Ronzone  A/UX System Architect
Apple Computer MS 27AJ 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd. Cupertino CA 95014

marcus@wdl1.UUCP (Marcus Louie) (05/25/88)

Thanks for all who replied to my question.  Here is a summary of the

Steve Peters of Apple Computer wrote to me saying that he is implementing
XV11R2 for A/UX that is due to be released late this summer.

White Pine Software, Inc. (94 Route 101A, P.O. Box 1108, Amherst, NH 03031,
603-886-9050) is developing an X11 implementation running under MacOS with
a Decnet communications driver.  A beta-version is due out in mid-summer.
Also, there is suppose to be a write-up on this in the April issue of
Macintosh Today (but I haven't been able to get a copy yet).

Finally, someone said that UC Berkeley was working on a X10.4 version
for the Macintosh.  No other information was given.

That's it.  Thanks again.

Marcus Louie
Ford Aerospace Corporation

marcus@ford-wdl1.ARPA