[comp.unix.aux] Weirdness with system time

grubin@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Rick Grubin) (07/09/88)

Perhaps someone has seen this before, or recognizes what may be causing
this problem...

I have a Mac II with A/UX on an internal 80MB drive, and an external
20MB drive with MacOS on it.  The external drive is the startup device.

I've just begun to notice that my clock under MacOS has always been one
hour behind.  So I would change it to be correct.  Then, when I ran
A/UX from the Sash partition (internal drive), my UNIX system time is
now one hour ahead.  So I change that time to be correct.  Then when I

Has anyone ever experienced this before?  Does anyone have any ideas
or solutions to this weirdness?  It is really irritating.  Every
reference of the TZ environment variable is correct (MST7MDT) in the
A/UX init files (at least I believe I've caught every occurence).

I have a startup file called MenuClock101 in my MacOS System Folder,
but its being-there/not-being-there in the System Folder does not seem
to make a difference.

Any help or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Rick Grubin, Academic Computing Services, University of Colorado, Boulder
                        grubin@tramp.Colorado.EDU
          ...{uunet!nbires or ames!ncar}!boulder!tramp!grubin

nicky@cup.portal.com (07/10/88)

Yes, I have the same problem regrading Max/AUX clocks except that I get a
time difference of about 6 hours!  When you first boot A/UX, you are asked to
set the GMT bias for your area.  I did that and then it seemed as if A/UX
ignored or forgot it.  SASH has a place for you to set the GMT bias, but no
matter how often I set it, it comes up with 0 every time.  I am looking for a
solution also.

-nicky

dwb@Apple.COM (David W. Berry) (07/10/88)

In article <7001@sigi.Colorado.EDU> grubin@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Rick Grubin) writes:
>I've just begun to notice that my clock under MacOS has always been one
>hour behind.  So I would change it to be correct.  Then, when I ran
>A/UX from the Sash partition (internal drive), my UNIX system time is
>now one hour ahead.  So I change that time to be correct.  Then when I
	Sounds like you need to change "GMT Bias" in SASH.  Because the
Macintosh knows little about time zones and nought about DST, and because
unix uses both heavily, this is an amount to bias the macintosh clock
by.  It was probably correct up until the time DST went into effect.

	David

Opinions:  MINE, ALL MINE! (greedy evil chuckle)

David W. Berry
apple!dwb@sun.com	dwb@apple.com	973-5168@408.MaBell

fnf@fishpond.UUCP (Fred Fish) (07/10/88)

In article <7001@sigi.Colorado.EDU> grubin@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Rick Grubin) writes:
>Has anyone ever experienced this before?  Does anyone have any ideas
>or solutions to this weirdness?  It is really irritating.  Every
>reference of the TZ environment variable is correct (MST7MDT) in the
>A/UX init files (at least I believe I've caught every occurence).

I have set TZ=MST and followed the directions in the /README file about
"Time zone handling", and haven't noticed any problems.  I did have
problems initially when I tried to set TZ=MST7, which should be OK
for Arizona (which ignores the daylight savings time madness which
seems to infect most other states).

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1346 West 10th Place, Tempe, AZ 85281,  USA
# noao!nud!fishpond!fnf                   (602) 921-1113