[comp.unix.aux] Unmounting in shutdown takes a long time

jjd@bbn.com (James J Dempsey) (08/02/88)

When I first brought up A/UX, shutdown was very quick.  After I built
an NFS kernel, the "Unmounting file systems" part of shutdown started
taking a long time, say 55 seconds, during which time it would appear
to just hang.  This delay comes after (quickly) unmounting any floppy
or NFS file system but before reporting that it has unmounted the root
filesystem.

Is this normal?

It should be noted that although my kernel is built for NFS, my
EtherTalk board has yet to arrive, so I don't have an ethernet card if
that makes a difference.  My only test of NFS has been using "loop".

		--Jim Dempsey--
		BBN Communications
		jjd@bbn.com (ARPA Internet)
                ..!{decvax, harvard, wjh12, linus}!bbn!jjd

whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) (08/03/88)

In article <27741@bbn.COM> jjd@BBN.COM () writes:
>When I first brought up A/UX, shutdown was very quick.  After I built
>an NFS kernel, the "Unmounting file systems" part of shutdown started
>taking a long time, say 55 seconds, during which time it would appear
>to just hang.  This delay comes after (quickly) unmounting any floppy
>or NFS file system but before reporting that it has unmounted the root
>filesystem.
>
>Is this normal?

My A/UX does this too. We have two machines connected to each other via
thin ethernet, and one is an NFS server with the other using one of its
disks. When I shutdown a machine, it spends an awful long time sitting
there and occasionally rattling its disk. The other machine also rattles
its disk at the same time.

It eventually does what it wants, but then it gets kill process errors.
IE, kill: PID 67 - no such process. The PID tends to be a number > 60 and
< 80, and there are usually four such messages (each PID reported is unique).

All of this appears to be of no consequence as nothing is damaged and shutdown
otherwise completes its job normally.

Any ideas?

David Whitney, MIT '90                   DISCLAIMER: Nobody knows what I'm up
{out there}!harvard!think!whitney         to. Don't blame them for my actions
whitney@think.com                         nor me for theirs.
^^^^^ will be changing before 1989 is here. Don't depend on it after 1/1/89.