[comp.unix.aux] X available for A/UX?

jjd@bbn.com (James J Dempsey) (07/25/88)

I know this must have been asked before, and I know that A/UX
version 1.1 will include X11, but is there anyway I can get X11
now for A/UX 1.0?  Preferably via ftp?  Someone must have done a
port.

Does anyone in the A/UX group want to comment on when A/UX 1.1 will be
available?

		--Jim Dempsey--
		BBN Communications
		jjd@bbn.com (ARPA Internet)
                ..!{decvax, harvard, wjh12, linus}!bbn!jjd

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (07/28/88)

In article <27351@bbn.COM>, jjd@bbn.com (James J Dempsey) writes:
> I know this must have been asked before, and I know that A/UX
> version 1.1 will include X11, but is there anyway I can get X11
> now for A/UX 1.0?

This would be pretty tough.  The current implementations of X-windows on
System V require "streams," which are part of System V Release 3.  A/UX
is a System V Release 2 port, and thus does not have streams.  If you
hear of a version of X-windows for System V that does not use streams,
please let me know - I'd like to get it too.

		Wes Peters

--
                     {hpda, uwmcsd1}!sp7040!obie!wes
           "Happiness lies in being priviledged to work hard for

phil@Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone) (08/02/88)

In article <112@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>> ... and I know that A/UX
>> version 1.1 will include X11, but is there anyway I can get X11
>> now for A/UX 1.0?
>This would be pretty tough.  The current implementations of X-windows on
>System V require "streams," which are part of System V Release 3.  A/UX
>is a System V Release 2 port, and thus does not have streams. ...

I do despair folks, I surely do. Sigh ... Anyway, A/UX 1.0 has streams.
Yes, A/UX is SVR2 based. Emphasis on the word based. We also have AT&T
based streams in it. We not only have streams, but X11, and not only
X11, but color X11 that somebody has ported Magic onto (no, Apple is NOT
going to be distributed Magic - it was just ported). Runs fine ...
Sorry to say - no X11 for A/UX 1.0, ya' gotta upgrade to 1.1. (among other
things, the ADB driver is streams based).
----------------------
Philip K. Ronzone  A/UX System Architect
Apple Computer MS 27AJ 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd. Cupertino CA 95014
{amdahl,decwrl,sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual,unisoft}!apple!phil
"In A/UX Release 4.0, /bin will still be there ...." P. Zigbooli

kalash@starnine.UUCP (Joe Kalash) (08/02/88)

In article <112@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>This would be pretty tough.  The current implementations of X-windows on
>System V require "streams," which are part of System V Release 3.  A/UX
>is a System V Release 2 port, and thus does not have streams.

	A/UX is actually a V.2.2 release, so it does have a version
of streams. Whie it lacks multiplexing, it is functional (the console
driver is a streams driver).

		Joe Kalash
		uunet!starnine!kalash

Disclaimer: StarNine knows nothing about what I am saying.

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (08/03/88)

in article <391@starnine.UUCP>, kalash@starnine.UUCP (Joe Kalash) says:

> In article <112@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>>This would be pretty tough.  The current implementations of X-windows on
>>System V require "streams," which are part of System V Release 3.  A/UX
>>is a System V Release 2 port, and thus does not have streams.

In last week's developers newsletter ( a four-page deal), Apple says
that X Windows will be available sometime in the fall, along with the
reported A/UX version 1.1 upgrade. No word on pricing or any of those
things.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop
BITNET: JHARRY@BENTLEY

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk (William Roberts) (08/04/88)

In article <15012@apple.Apple.COM> phil@apple.apple.com.UUCP (Phil Ronzone) writes:
>I do despair folks, I surely do. Sigh ... Anyway, A/UX 1.0 has streams.
>Yes, A/UX is SVR2 based. Emphasis on the word based. We also have AT&T
>based streams in it. We not only have streams, but X11, and not only
>X11, but color X11 that somebody has ported Magic onto (no, Apple is NOT
>going to be distributed Magic - it was just ported). Runs fine ...
>Sorry to say - no X11 for A/UX 1.0, ya' gotta upgrade to 1.1. (among other
>things, the ADB driver is streams based).

If anyone is interested, X11 builds fairly happily on A/UX if
you use the BSD Makefiles: the BSD compatibility isn't that bad
when used in conjunction with the X11 "don't use whizzo features"
approach to portable software.

Will there be anything for A/UX or Mac II in the X11R3 contrib
tape?  Would Apple turn nasty if I offered to put something there?
--

William Roberts         ARPA: liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk  (gw: cs.ucl.edu)
Queen Mary College      UUCP: liam@qmc-cs.UUCP

peters@Apple.COM (Steve Peters) (08/09/88)

On Monday, August 1, Apple Computer announced an X Window System product
for A/UX. Delivery is scheduled for the last quarter of 1988. Our X server
runs quite happily under A/UX release 1.0 on a single monochrome (1 bit deep)
screen, it does NOT require A/UX release 1.1. In addition, the server we ship
WILL take advantage of color and multiple screens when those capabilities appear
in subsequent A/UX releases.

For those who can't wait, we have contributed sources for our monochrome
server to the X Consortium. These will appear in XV11R3, slated for public
distribution early in October. Caveat Emptor: this contribution will not
have passed Apple's extensive QA (now underway for our X product),
nor will it include Apple documentation.

For those who really can't wait, we have a seeding program in place.
Only serious developers need apply. Be prepared to sell me and A/UX
product management hard, real hard :-).

We're showing at UniForum, SigGraph, MacWorld, and Xhibtion this month.
Come take a look.

It is nearly trivial to port a generic X server to A/UX, the requsite BSD
stuff is all in place ( you bought the right Unix! :-) ). Took me a weekend
to bring up an X11 alpha last Fall before I joined Apple. A product server
though, is a rather larger undertaking.

	Steve Peters
	X Project Leader (sic)
	Apple Computer, Inc.