[comp.unix.aux] A/UX nroff -ms doesn't work

mouser@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Wang) (07/25/88)

I need to use the ms macro package with nroff but when I typed:

     nroff -ms file.ms > file.doc

I got the error mesage:

     nroff: cannot open file /usr/lib/tmac/tmac.s

Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?

-Michael Wang

+---------------+-----------------------------------------------------------+
| Michael Wang  |  Stanford University, Stanford, CA  94305                 |
|---------------+-----------------------------------------------------------|
| ARPAnet, CSNET, BITNET, Internet :  mouser@portia.stanford.edu            |
| UUCP:  ...decwrl!portia.stanford.edu!mouser                               |
| AppleLink:  ST0064                                                        |

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (07/28/88)

In article <3163@Portia.Stanford.EDU>, mouser@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Wang) writes:
> I need to use the ms macro package with nroff but when I typed:
>      nroff -ms file.ms > file.doc
> I got the error mesage:
>      nroff: cannot open file /usr/lib/tmac/tmac.s
> Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?

Yah, you bought the wrong flavor of Unix.  The `MS' macro package comes
with Berkely Unix systems, and A/UX is an AT&T (System V) Unix system.
The macro packages available on System V are MM - Memorandum Macros, MS
- Viewgraph and Slide macros, and MAN - manual page macros.  I don't
know if any of these are compatible with the MS package, but I doubt it.
It would just be TOO easy :-).

--
                     {hpda, uwmcsd1}!sp7040!obie!wes
           "Happiness lies in being priviledged to work hard for

phil@Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone) (08/02/88)

In article <113@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>In article <3163@Portia.Stanford.EDU>, mouser@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Wang) writes:
>> I need to use the ms macro package with nroff but when I typed:
>>      nroff -ms file.ms > file.doc
>> I got the error mesage:
>>      nroff: cannot open file /usr/lib/tmac/tmac.s
>> Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?
>
>Yah, you bought the wrong flavor of Unix.  The `MS' macro package comes
>with Berkely Unix systems, and A/UX is an AT&T (System V) Unix system.

Hmmm - methinks "Barnacle Wes" might like to catch whoever is submitting
under his login ID and make them use A/UX first before commenting! :-)
Anyway, M. Wang didn't buy the wrong flavor of UNIX. The ms macros, like
not a few items still in BSD are kludgy and obsolescent. We at Apple did
not supply them because we didn't want yet another item to maintain that
was going away. You can copy your /usr/lib/tmac/tmac.s file from a BSD
system over and it should just work fine. Both the original -ms and -me
macro packages from the BSD 4.3 tape work just fine -- all bets are off
for any kludge versions. Remember after all, in A/UX, we have supplied
standard ditroff.
them because
Philip K. Ronzone  A/UX System Architect
Apple Computer MS 27AJ 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd. Cupertino CA 95014
{amdahl,decwrl,sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual,unisoft}!apple!phil
"In A/UX Release 4.0, /bin will still be there ...." P. Zigbooli

piet@nluug.nl (Piet Beertema) (08/11/88)

	The ms macros, like not a few items still in BSD are kludgy and
	obsolescent. We at Apple did not supply them because we didn't
	want yet another item to maintain that was going away. You can
	copy your /usr/lib/tmac/tmac.s file from a BSD system over and
	it should just work fine. Both the original -ms and -me macro
	packages from the BSD 4.3 tape work just fine
We at Apple don't supply stuff used all over the world,
working fine in its original, recent (4.3) form.
We at Apple don't supply such stuff, we just publicly
advise you to copy it over.

Is that how "we at Apple" work??

rob@uokmax.UUCP (Robert K Shull) (08/15/88)

In article <712@hp4nl.nluug.nl> piet@nluug.nl (Piet Beertema) writes:

>	The ms macros, like not a few items still in BSD are kludgy and
>	obsolescent. We at Apple did not supply them because we didn't
>We at Apple don't supply stuff used all over the world,
>working fine in its original, recent (4.3) form.

Just because it's used "all over the world" doesn't mean it's not kludgy
and obsolescent. (I can see it now: Apple, why didn't you supply Cobol on
my A/UX distribution? It's used all over the world and working fine in its
original, recent form.)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(interesting concept in itself)

Also, it doesn't work fine on some very important configurations. Namely,
Adobe Transcript to a LaserWriter. We've spent the last two years telling
people not to use -ms macros, use -me instead (after 20 or 30 laser pages
get wasted)

	Robert
--
Robert K. Shull
University of Oklahoma, Engineering Computer Network

phil@Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone) (08/16/88)

In article <64046@sun.uucp> swilson@sun.UUCP (Scott Wilson) writes:
>>Again, the decision NOT to include -ms and -me was from maintaining the ...
>
>This sounds kind of scary to me.  You mean you will leave out things
>because they could potentially be difficult to maintain.  I can
>think of other programs that would be harder to maintain (for me
>anyway) like yacc.   That one would be tough to really understand.
>What else was left out of A/UX because of maintenance reasons?

No, the -ms macros were NOT a case of leaving something out -- they were
not "in" in the first place. A/UX is SVR2, with BSD extensions. So it was
a case of looking at the cost & desirability of ADDING the -ms macros. And
another poster pointed out that -ms can throw Adobe TransScript on the
LaserWriter off quite badly. So we look at the cost of making -ms work on
the ImageWriter II, the LaserWriters, the future-output-device and so on,
.vs. that manpower in beefing up another are of software, and ta-da, we
didn't bring IN -ms macros.
+------------------------+-----------------------+----------------------------+
| Philip K. Ronzone      | A/UX System Architect | APPLELINK: RONZONE1        |
| Apple Computer         +-----------------------+----------------------------+
| Mail Stop 27AJ         | "Forgive him Ceasar, for he is a barbarian, and    |
| 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd.  |  thinks the features of his release are the ways   |
| Cupertino CA 95014     |  of nature."                                       |
+------------------------+----------------------------------------------------+
|{amdahl,decwrl,sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual,unisoft}!apple!phil                 |

hulsebos@philmds.UUCP (Rob Hulsebos) (08/25/88)

In article <712@hp4nl.nluug.nl> piet@nluug.nl (Piet Beertema) writes:
>Is that how "we at Apple" work??

Don't blame Apple. Blame their supplier. It's the same I have... and I
don't even run A/UX!

R.A. Hulsebos                                       ...!mcvax!philmds!hulsebos
Philips I&E Automation Modules                            phone: +31-40-785723
Building TQ-III-1, room 11
Eindhoven, The Netherlands                                # cc -O disclaimer.c