[comp.unix.aux] Using one Jasmine partition for A/UX

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (09/19/88)

I have a 100 meg external Jasmine drive with three partitions, one for the
Mac OS, one for MS-DOS (unfortunate, but necessary...), and a third which
I'd like to use with A/UX.

How in the world do I get A/UX to recognize that partition? The documentation
suggests that I should start with dp, but the drive is already partitionned.
Has anybody out there done this? Would you be so kind as to share the
trick with me?

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop
BITNET: JHARRY@BENTLEY

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

drapeau@Jessica.stanford.edu (George Drapeau) (09/21/88)

In article <662@stech.UUCP> sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
>I have a 100 meg external Jasmine drive with three partitions, one for the
>Mac OS, one for MS-DOS (unfortunate, but necessary...), and a third which
>I'd like to use with A/UX.
>
>How in the world do I get A/UX to recognize that partition? The documentation
>suggests that I should start with dp, but the drive is already partitionned.
>Has anybody out there done this? Would you be so kind as to share the
>trick with me?

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a question I had about getting A/UX
(or Finder) to recognize a Jasmine 50 as a 50Meg drive.  I've done
some legwork, and my answer should answer your question, also.  I'm
sorry if this turns out to be more than you want; I'm kind of
answering two things at once.  If anybody has useful information to
add, or constructive criticism (e.g., "George, how utterly STUPID can
you be?  Why did you do that?!"), please post it or send me mail.

My problem was that Finder couldn't format the DD50 as a 50Meg disk,
and Jasmine's DriveWare isn't A/UX compatible (as of last Thursday, at
least).  But, when I did "dp" on the Jasmine, all 50 Meg showed up.
The problem was that it showed up in two different partitions, named

	MacOS		(type: Apple_HFS)
	Extra		(type: Apple_Free)

So I decided to try and make a different filesystem on each partition
(actually, I tried to combine these two partitions into one, since
they seemed to represent contiguous space.  I strongly recommend you
do *NOT* try this).  Here's what I did:

First, do all the stuff that the "A/UX Accessory Kit" docs tell you.
They walk you through the "dp" process, telling you to change some
fields on disk to make it an A/UX disk.  I did this for both
partitions, changing each to A/UX partitions, naming them
"Lots_O_Storage" and "More_Storage".  Be sure to save those changes by
exiting "dp" with the "wq" command.

Next I ran the 'pname' command, which announces to A/UX the new
partition names I've created.  I typed, for example:

	pname -c6 "Lots_O_Storage"

which told A/UX that one of my newly-created partitions is on SCSI
address 6.  'pname' gave that partition a slice number, which is used
later.  I did another pname command for "More_Storage".

Next, I created the '/etc/ptab' file, so that every time I boot A/UX,
the system would know about my partitions.  I did that by typing

	pname -p >/etc/ptab

(Oops!  Please, *please* make sure you're root while you do all of
this stuff.)

If you just type "pname -p", that'll list the partitions that A/UX
knows about, and their corresponding places on disk(s).

After I did this, I went back to the A/UX Accessory Kit instructions,
which told me to make a file system on each of my partitions, then run
'fsck' on them, run 'mklost+found', then make a mount point for each
partition, mount them on the system, and edit my 'etc/fstab' file to
tell A/UX what partitions were mounted as what directories.

That's the short of it.  The key here was to use "pname" to set
information about how the disk was partitioned.

If you have any questions about what I wrote, send me mail or post a
message.  I just hacked at it as long as I could, since I could find
nobody who's done this before.  If anybody has had similar
experiences, please let me know.  If you have a better way of doing
this, I'd like to know that, too.

I hope this helped some.

George D. Drapeau			Internet: drapeau@jessica.stanford.edu
Academic Information Resources
Stanford University

nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) (09/27/88)

In article <662@stech.UUCP>, sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
> I have a 100 meg external Jasmine drive with three partitions, one for the
> Mac OS, one for MS-DOS (unfortunate, but necessary...), and a third which
> I'd like to use with A/UX.
>
> How in the world do I get A/UX to recognize that partition?

I believe that currently AUX 1.0 supports only one large capacity drive:
the CDC-Wren III (150 megs.)  The 100 meg Jasimine may not cut it, since
it does not appear to contain the above unit. You may have to wait for
the next AUX upgrade.

nghiem@walt.cc.utexas.edu

dwb@Apple.COM (David W. Berry) (09/29/88)

In article <6381@ut-emx.UUCP> nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) writes:
>I believe that currently AUX 1.0 supports only one large capacity drive:
>the CDC-Wren III (150 megs.)  The 100 meg Jasimine may not cut it, since
>it does not appear to contain the above unit. You may have to wait for
>the next AUX upgrade.
	Actually, A/UX supports almost any SCSI drive.  The SCSI driver
was designed with that in mind.  (Note that their may be some problems
if the drive doesn't come preformatted and you don't have a mac program
to do that, the diskformat command doesn't deal well with any thing but
floppies.)

	My suggestion on how to add a generic drive with mac and A/UX
partitions would be:

1)  Use the software that came with the drive to format it.
2)  Use "Apple HD SC Setup" to partition the drive, this is the preferable
	method since it draws nice pictures and let's you drag to set
	partition sizes.  Unfortunately it only works with a limited
	set of drives, basically, those which might find their way into
	an Apple marked product.  (Q280S, Rodime 20, 40, 80, etc.)
	You want to select a "custom" partition, you can then split the
	drive up however you want between mac and unix.
3)  If you have a drive that won't work with HD SC Setup, you get to use
	dp to change the partition map on the drive.  Shrink the physical
	and logical sizes of the mac partition as desired and then add the
	A/UX partition.
4)  Use mkfs to make the required filesystem.  Note that if you allowed
	the default partition type in 3) than your drive will automatically
	be assigned to /dev/dsk/c{scsiid}d0s{slice} where slice is either
	0 for "root" partitions or 2 for "user" partitions.
	on the disk.  Otherwise you'll have all kinds of problems since
	the file system size doesn't match the partition size.

It's quite a bit simpler if you just want to use the drive as an A/UX
drive since you just format the drive and use dp to create a partition
map.

>nghiem@walt.cc.utexas.edu

Opinions:  MINE, ALL MINE! (greedy evil chuckle)

David W. Berry
apple!dwb@sun.com	dwb@apple.com	973-5168@408.MaBell