[comp.unix.aux] A/UX hangs.

km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) (10/03/88)

My Mac II has recently started hanging. The console freezes (no tty
echo) and there is no response from the ethernet.  There is no panic,
just this hang. There is nothing much for me to do but hit reset, fix
the filesystem, and reboot again.  The hang can occur anytime from a
few minutes after boot, to a  few days later, although the uptime seems
to be decreasing. There is no pattern as to what it is doing at the
time, though often there is nothing going on other than the usual
background system processes. One time, it even hung in single user mode
while it was asking me if I wanted a fsck.

Is this familiar to anyone?

What diagnostic tools are available. How do I induce a crash dump?
Although this is a System V port, there seems to be no crash program
like on the 3B2. If I manage to get a dump is adb my main tool? Are
there adb scripts for kernel debugging somewhere?

Are there hardware diagnostics somewhere that I can use to test the
hardware?

Sorry for all the questions.

--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP

bruce@voysys.UUCP (Bruce Beare) (10/03/88)

In article <3244@emory.uucp>, km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) writes:

> My Mac II has recently started hanging. The console freezes (no tty
> echo) and there is no response from the ethernet.  There is no panic,
> just this hang. There is nothing much for me to do but hit reset, fix
> the filesystem, and reboot again.  The hang can occur anytime from a
> Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED

I've been having the same problem for some time. I called the A/UX hotline
(we got the freebee in the mail) and was rather disappointed by their response.
The hotline person suggested that I try turning off accounting, NFS, etc until
the problem went away. I asked if there was any way to get a crash dump and to
examine it - the person on the other end of the phone did not even know what
crash was...

Well, I still have a machine that 'locks' up every few days.
I would NOT recommend purchasing the so-called 'hotline support' line until
they get their act together.

	Bruce Beare
	..!pyramid!ctnews!voysys!bruce

bruce@voysys.UUCP (Bruce Beare) (10/06/88)

In article <276@voysys.UUCP>, bruce@voysys.UUCP (Bruce Beare) writes:
> In article <3244@emory.uucp>, km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
> >
> > My Mac II has recently started hanging. The console freezes (no tty
>
> Well, I still have a machine that 'locks' up every few days.
> I would NOT recommend purchasing the so-called 'hotline support' line until
> they get their act together.

I just heard back from the manager of the direct response center. The bug I/we
are experiencing is a known bug - probably due to a high network load.

I am not sure why it took nearly a week to figure out/tell me what the
problem was, but I have been 'credited' for the response center time that was
used for this problem. I also found out that unisoft never made crash available
to apple - this is sure to make things difficult for support until it is fixed.

It seems to me that the people at apple really care about supporting people,
but probably have some staff-up/training problems that they are working on.