[comp.unix.aux] Can an 030 need a PMMU?

63848e@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jeffrey Buchsbaum) (10/13/88)

I called Dove Computer today to ask about an '030 board ugrade for the II. They
told me that I would still need to buy a 68851 chip(PMMU) with their 030. Is
is possible that an 030 can still need a PMMU.  I would like an 030, but
only if it also allows me to avoid a PMMU purchase. Otherwise, their description
of a 30 percent increase in performance for the 1800 dollar 33mhz seems strange
from a marketing point of view. I thought the 030 had the PMMU in it.

Their 030 board clips into the 020 sockets, to clarify any confusion, and
comes with inits and stuff to let the caches work.
This is from some documentation that they sent to me.

One confused MacII hacker.

The goofy, all pupose disclaimer (needed or not):
I am in no way associated with any company discussed or mentioned.
All opinions are my own, and fully admit to not knowing that much.

Please send email to Jeffrey Buchsbaum at
jeffrey.buchsbaum@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

or to

Jeffrey Buchsbaum
H.B.0559
Dartmouth College
Hanover, N.H. 03755

michael@mcdchg.chi.il.us (Michael Bodine) (10/14/88)

Jeffrey Buchsbaum (63848e@eleazar.dartmouth.edu) writes:
> I called Dove Computer today to ask about an '030 board ugrade for the II. They
> from a marketing point of view. I thought the 030 had the PMMU in it.
>
> One confused MacII hacker.
Somebody's confused alright, but it wouldn't appear to be you!  The 030 does
have the mmu on-chip.  The only way an 030 upgrade would still require an 851
for external memory management is if 1) their software disabled the on-chip
mmu and 2) their (or somebody's) software required the full functionality of
the 851 -- the 030 mmu is a subset of the 68851;  not all instructions
supported by an 020/851 pair are supported by the 030.  Even so, there would
have to be hardware modifications and code changes to support the fact that
the off-chip mmu by default only responds to a particular co-processor id
(i forget which, not relevant) so that any co-processor functions embedded
in object code would operate with the on-chip mmu.  To access an off-chip
mmu, you'd have to recode all mmu instructions to reference a different
co-processor id.  Seems like an awful lot of hassle to go thru when not
doing anything would most likely just make it work!

Anybody in Austin listening?  At Dove?
--
[ Michael Bodine, michael@mcdchg.UUCP,  (312) 576-7840                         ]
[ Opinions expressed are mine!  All mine!                                      ]

brian@natinst.UUCP (Brian H. Powell) (10/14/88)

In article <10395@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, 63848e@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jeffrey Buchsbaum) writes:

> I called Dove Computer today to ask about an '030 board ugrade for the II.
> They told me that I would still need to buy a 68851 chip(PMMU) with their
> 030. Is is possible that an 030 can still need a PMMU?

> Their 030 board clips into the 020 sockets, to clarify any confusion,
> and comes with inits and stuff to let the caches work.

     I'm not much of a hardware authority, so use salt grains when reading
this.  It sounds from your description that their board has a socket for a
68851 on it.  If you don't have a PMMU, you usually have a dummy chip sitting
in the slot to pass through the proper logical and physical lines, etc.
     Unfortunately, the signals that the dummy chip needs to handle differ
between a 68020 and a 68030.  If you replace the dummy chip with a real 68851,
the PMMU part of the 68030 works correctly, even though the 68851 is
effectively ignored.  Quoting from a 68030 manual (page 12-3):

     When used in a system originally designed for both an MC68020 and an
MC68851, the MC68851 may be left in the system or removed (and replaced with a
jumpered header).  However, if left in the system, the MC68851 is not
accessible to the programmer with the M68000 coprocessor interface.  All MMU
instructions access the MC68030's on-chip MMU.  This is true even if the
MC68030's MMUDIS signal is asserted.  The benefit in removing the MC68851 is
that the minimum asynchronous bus cycle time to the physical bus is reduced
from four clock cycles to three.
     If the MC68851 is removed and replaced with a jumpered header, the
following MC68851 signals may need special system-specific consideration:
[list omitted]...  During translation table searches the MC68851 asserts the
CLI signal but not RMC, while the MC68030 asserts RMC but not CIOUT.
     [etc...]

Brian H. Powell					National Instruments Corp.
	brian@natinst.uucp			12109 Technology Blvd.
	cs.utexas.edu!natinst!brian		Austin, Texas 78727-6204
	AppleLink:D0351				(512) 250-9119 x832