[comp.unix.aux] BSD 4.2 filesystems

tytso@athena.mit.edu (Theodore Y. Ts'o) (10/21/88)

We just got our 80SC hard disk, and I was wondering if anyone knew how
to put a BSD filesystem on it, and if it was possible at all.  The
manual page for mount hints tantalizing on being able to escape the
AT&T System V filename lossage, by specifying mount type "4.2" versus
"5.2".  Over NFS, greater than 14 character filenames work fine, so
the kernel support must be at least partially there.

Also, does anyone have information about whether it is possible to
boot from a 4.2 filesystem, and how to make a secondary hard disk
bootable (5.2 or 4.2)?

I'd read TFM if I had the TFM.  (I'd much rather perfer source code,
but somehow I doubt I'm going to get access to it anytime soon.)  I've
been spoiled by having complete and ready access to the systems I
normally use, and thus being able to have bugs fixed (or at least
identified as bugs) in finite time....
Theodore Ts'o				mit-eddie!mit-athena!tytso
3 Ames St., Cambridge, MA 02139		tytso@athena.mit.edu
			If it's for real, it isn't!

dwb@Apple.COM (David W. Berry) (10/21/88)

In article <7591@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> tytso@athena.mit.edu (Theodore Y. Ts'o) writes:
>We just got our 80SC hard disk, and I was wondering if anyone knew how
>to put a BSD filesystem on it, and if it was possible at all.  The
>manual page for mount hints tantalizing on being able to escape the
>AT&T System V filename lossage, by specifying mount type "4.2" versus
>"5.2".  Over NFS, greater than 14 character filenames work fine, so
>the kernel support must be at least partially there.
	BSD file systems are currently unsupported under A/UX.  The only
valid entries for the type field of fstab are 5.2, nfs, and ignore.

Opinions:  MINE, ALL MINE! (greedy evil chuckle)

David W. Berry
apple!dwb@sun.com	dwb@apple.com	973-5168@408.MaBell

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (10/21/88)

In article <7591@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> tytso@athena.mit.edu (Theodore Y. Ts'o) writes:

>I'd read TFM if I had the TFM.  (I'd much rather perfer source code,
>but somehow I doubt I'm going to get access to it anytime soon.)

It wouldn't do you any good re: 4.2 file systems.  I learned long ago that
the existence of parameters does not imply the existence of code to support
them.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

Yes, I have TFM, but I am not about to send in for a 1 year update
subscription until there is at least 1 update.