[comp.unix.aux] Another A/UX question, re: rn

alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (10/23/88)

If we do get an A/UX machine it would be used primarily for mail and news.
Thus we would need to bring up rn (and maybe other news programs?) without
much work. Does the A/UX distribution come with rn? If not, how easy is it
to get it running? What about all of the uucp stuff?

Has anyone gotten Hayes-compatible modems working as dial-in devices? My
(possibly flawed) understanding is that 2400 bps models won't work right.
I believe this problem is endemic to all SysV based systems. If you have
a dial-in line working, what modem are you using?

Thanks in advance,
----
Alexis Rosen                       alexis@dasys1.UUCP  or  alexis@ccnysci.UUCP
Writing from                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
The Big Electric Cat                                       uunet!dasys1!alexis
Public UNIX                           {portal,well,sun}!hoptoad/

paul@unisoft.UUCP (n) (10/25/88)

In article <7139@dasys1.UUCP> alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>If we do get an A/UX machine it would be used primarily for mail and news.
>Thus we would need to bring up rn (and maybe other news programs?) without
>much work. Does the A/UX distribution come with rn? If not, how easy is it

no

>to get it running?

very, Larry Wall's Configure script that makes it compile on almost anything
is still one of the 8 wonders of the known world (you just type Configure
and answer the questions, then type make)

	Paul

--
Paul Campbell, UniSoft Corp. 6121 Hollis, Emeryville, Ca ..ucbvax!unisoft!paul
Nothing here represents the opinions of UniSoft or its employees (except me)

	"Where was George?" - Nudge, nudge say no more

aem@ibiza.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) (10/25/88)

In <1345@unisoft.UUCP>, <paul@unisoft.UUCP> wrote:
>In article <7139@dasys1.UUCP> alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>>If we do get an A/UX machine it would be used primarily for mail and news.
>>Thus we would need to bring up rn (and maybe other news programs?) without
>>much work. Does the A/UX distribution come with rn? If not, how easy is it
>no
>>to get it running?
>very, Larry Wall's Configure script that makes it compile on almost anything
>is still one of the 8 wonders of the known world (you just type Configure
>and answer the questions, then type make)

I installed remote rn (rrn) on my Mac II in about 45 minutes (while eating lunch).
It was extremely easy.  I was very surprised since I couldn't get it to work
at all on a Vaxstation II (Ultrix 2.2) or a ATT 3B2/310 (V 2.0.5).

andrew

In <809@umbio.MIAMI.EDU>, <aem@Mthvax.Miami.Edu> wrote:
>I installed remote rn (rrn) on my Mac II in about 45 minutes (while eating lunch).
>It was extremely easy.  I was very surprised since I couldn't get it to work
>at all on a Vaxstation II (Ultrix 2.2) or a ATT 3B2/310 (V 2.0.5).

That should've been Ultrix 1.2 - which I believe is the problem...

aem

a.e.mossberg    -    aem@mthvax.miami.edu    -    aem@mthvax.span (3.91)
Democracy becomes a government of bullies, tempered by editors.
						 	- Ralph Waldo Emerson

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (10/26/88)

In article <809@umbio.MIAMI.EDU> aem@Mthvax.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:
>I installed remote rn (rrn) on my Mac II in about 45 minutes (while eating
>lunch). It was extremely easy.  I was very surprised since I couldn't get it
>to work at all on a Vaxstation II (Ultrix 2.2) or a ATT 3B2/310 (V 2.0.5).

Um... What's Remote rn? I think I can guess, but I'd like to know more. There's
probably no need to post unless other ask as well.

----