[comp.unix.aux] X Windows and terminfo

jjd@bbn.com (James J Dempsey) (10/29/88)

I just managed to bring up X Windows (X11R3) on my A/UX Mac II.
Everything seems to work pretty well but I have a problem.

(Actually I have two problems.  All my non-local windows keep
disappearing whenever the "Recieve overflow" ethernet problem occurs
which is several times an hour! What a pain. Please work on this!)

What I would like to ask for help about is terminfo.  The X people
were kind enough to include termcap and terminfo descriptions of the
terminal type "xterm" with X11R3.  Unfortunately, in order to install
the terminfo description I need to use tic(1M).  Tic seems to require
the original terminfo.src file which doesn't seem to be included in
the A/UX 1.0 distribution.  Is there anyway for me to install my
terminfo description of xterm without the terminfo.src file?

I knew I should have compiled rn to use termcap instead of terminfo.

		--Jim Dempsey--
		BBN Communications
		jjd@bbn.com (ARPA Internet)
                ..!{decvax, harvard, wjh12, linus}!bbn!jjd

jjd@bbn.com (James J Dempsey) (11/02/88)

Thanks to Dave Payne at Apple for pointing out that the already
pre-compiled terminfo files for xterm are distributed with X11R3 in
the directory server/ddx/macII. So you don't need to use tic yourself
after all.

I also assume this implies that you can't use tic on A/UX 1.0 if your
terminal description has a "use=" in it.  Otherwise, the X Consortium
would not have resorted to including the precompiled files with X11R3.

[ Continuing saga of the "Recieve overflow" ethernet problem: I now
have a crontab entry which says "* * * * * /etc/ifconfig ae0 up" to
force the network "up" every minute. This brute force approach helps a
little.  Has this problem been found?  Fixed in 1.1??? ]

Thanks again to Dave Payne and the X Consortium.

hugh@hoptoad.uucp (Hugh Daniel) (11/02/88)

jjd@bbn.com (James J Dempsey) wrote:
> I also assume this implies that you can't use tic on A/UX 1.0 if your
> terminal description has a "use=" in it.  Otherwise, the X Consortium
> would not have resorted to including the precompiled files with X11R3.

  I have used the program captoinfo on the NeWS termcaps to generate
the terminfo source that I distribute wiht MacNews.  Both the nterm and
the psterm terminfos have use= in them and tic has no problem with them.

hugh@toad.com                   Grasshopper Group,  415/668-5998
hugh@xanadu.com                 212 Clayton St. San Francisco CA94117