[comp.unix.aux] networking loopback

fnf@fishpond.UUCP (Fred Fish) (11/12/88)

I have some code that wants to run remsh on another system, but development
is being done on a solitary Mac-II (no network connections).  For testing,
I'd like to be able to "remsh fishpond ...", where the development system
is fishpond, but I can't figure out how to turn on the networking features
of A/UX.  The /README file refers to some document called "A/UX Network System
Administration", but I don't seem to be able to find it in the A/UX
documentation set.  A quick summary of the necessary steps would be
appreciated.  Thanks!

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1346 West 10th Place, Tempe, AZ 85281,  USA
# noao!nud!fishpond!fnf                   (602) 921-1113

david@varian.UUCP (David Brown) (11/13/88)

In article <138@fishpond.UUCP>, fnf@fishpond.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
> UX.  The /README file refers to some document called "A/UX Network System
> Administration", but I don't seem to be able to find it in the A/UX
> documentation set.  A quick summary of the necessary steps would be
> appreciated.  Thanks!

"A/UX Network System Administration" is available from APDA; cost is about
$20.  But you don't need it to get networking started if you're already
familiar with UNIX networks - I found everything I needed in the
Release notes for A/UX (a funny place to put system reconfiguration info! -
they also contain information on tuning kernel parameters).  This
is from memory, so it may not be completely accurate, but what you do
is:
1) rebuild the kernel by invoking (whatever the command is - something
like "config", but I can't remember) with the argument "bnet", "nfs",
or something or other for yellow pages, depending on how much you
want to enable (nfs turns on bnet (TCP/IP), and yp turns on nfs and bnet).

2) edit /etc/inittab - all the fields are documented in the comments

3) reboot

On the reboot, the new UNIX will be built, and you will be instructed
to run some setup stuff, like the machine's IP address.

--
David Brown	 415-649-4000
Orion Network Systems 1995 University Ave. Suite 350 Berkeley CA 94704