[comp.unix.aux] small booting problem

andym@crash.cts.com (Andy Micone) (11/10/88)

We have a MacII with two hard drives, an internal 100meg at SCSI ID 2,
and the external one with A/UX at SCSI ID 5.  In the MacOs I've set it
up so that the 100meg internal is the startup device, rather than the
A/UX external.  My problem is that the internal disk will only be the
startup device on a restart, not on a powerup, probably due to the fact
the SCSI starts with the higher scsi numbers and works down. Is there
any way through software to get the Mac NOT to boot up on the A/UX disk
on powerup?  It's not a problem for me to restart, but many people on
my staff are not extremely computer literate, and I can't be there all
the time.

andym@crash.CTS.COM
UUCP: ucsd!crash!andym

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (11/11/88)

In article <3570@crash.cts.com> andym@crash.CTS.COM (Andy Micone) writes:

.We have a MacII with two hard drives, an internal 100meg at SCSI ID 2,
.and the external one with A/UX at SCSI ID 5.  In the MacOs I've set it
.up so that the 100meg internal is the startup device, rather than the
.A/UX external.  My problem is that the internal disk will only be the
.startup device on a restart, not on a powerup, probably due to the fact
.the SCSI starts with the higher scsi numbers and works down. Is there
.any way through software to get the Mac NOT to boot up on the A/UX disk
.on powerup?  It's not a problem for me to restart, but many people on
.my staff are not extremely computer literate, and I can't be there all
.the time.

Remove the system file from the SASH partition on the external drive.  The
system will try to boot from your preferred drive, but if the other one spins
up faster, it will be the boot device.  It is sufficient to make sure that
'System' and 'Finder' are in separate folders.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

dwb@Apple.COM (David W. Berry) (11/15/88)

In article <3570@crash.cts.com> andym@crash.CTS.COM (Andy Micone) writes:

>We have a MacII with two hard drives, an internal 100meg at SCSI ID 2,
>and the external one with A/UX at SCSI ID 5.  In the MacOs I've set it
>up so that the 100meg internal is the startup device, rather than the
>A/UX external.  My problem is that the internal disk will only be the
>startup device on a restart, not on a powerup, probably due to the fact
>the SCSI starts with the higher scsi numbers and works down. Is there
>any way through software to get the Mac NOT to boot up on the A/UX disk
>on powerup?  It's not a problem for me to restart, but many people on
>my staff are not extremely computer literate, and I can't be there all
>the time.
	Using the Control Panel's Startup Device you can set any volume
to be the boot volume.

>andym@crash.CTS.COM
>UUCP: ucsd!crash!andym

Opinions:  MINE, ALL MINE! (greedy evil chuckle)

David W. Berry
apple!dwb@sun.com	dwb@apple.com	973-5168@408.MaBell