[comp.unix.aux] A/UX Support for P1003.1 OS Primitives

eberard@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Edward Berard) (11/17/88)

   To what degree, if any, does A/UX support the operating system (OS)
primitives found in IEEE Standard P1003.1 (Draft 12), i.e., the
proposed POSIX standard? If there is support, is this information
localized in one (or a few) document(s)?

				-- Ed Berard
				   (301) 695-6960

decot@hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) (11/26/88)

>    To what degree, if any, does A/UX support the operating system (OS)
> primitives found in IEEE Standard P1003.1 (Draft 12), i.e., the
> proposed POSIX standard? If there is support, is this information
> localized in one (or a few) document(s)?

The POSIX standard was approved as IEEE Std 1003.1-1988 and has been
published; it was equivalent to Draft 13.

Dave

karish@denali.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (12/02/88)

In article <11260002@hpisod2.HP.COM> decot@hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) writes:
>>    To what degree, if any, does A/UX support the operating system (OS)
>> primitives found in IEEE Standard P1003.1 (Draft 12), i.e., the
>> proposed POSIX standard? If there is support, is this information
>> localized in one (or a few) document(s)?
>
>The POSIX standard was approved as IEEE Std 1003.1-1988 and has been
>published; it was equivalent to Draft 13.
>
>Dave

That tells us what POSIX is.  Various Apple press releases and flyers
claim that A/UX supports 1003.1, and that a 1003.1-conforming system
was shown at a trade show last summer.  I have yet to hear that anyone
outside of Apple has seen such a beast.

To repeat the question:  How much of the 1003.1 standard does APPLE
support?  The 1003.3 POSIX standard describes the conformance
documentation that is to be expected from the implementor of a
conforming system.  Can/will Apple provide such documentation for A/UX?

Chuck Karish	ARPA:	karish@denali.stanford.edu
		UUCP:	{decvax,hplabs!hpda}!mindcrf!karish
		USPS:	1825 California St. #5   Mountain View, CA 94041