[comp.unix.aux] Do you get sources with A/UX?

pez@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Daniel J Pezely) (12/04/88)

What exactly do you get and what is needed to run A/UX?  Do you get sources
or just the executable versions?  Do you get an on-line manual or does that
come with the $500 bound manuals or since the Mac II is not really a mutli-
user system like a Vax, are there on-line manuals?

Is it too much of a pain to have A/UX and Mac/OS partitions on the same dirve
and run each operating systems in different parts of the day?  Can you run
them both at the same time?

How compatible is it with the Suns?

I tried to ask some local dealers and Apple reps but no one has been able to
answer these seemingly simple questions.  Hopefully, someone here can.
Please send me e-mail.  Thank you.

					Daniel Pezely
					pez@vax1.acs.udel.edu
					University of Delaware

liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk (William Roberts) (12/05/88)

In article <2444@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> pez@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Daniel J Pezely) writes:
>What exactly do you get and what is needed to run A/UX?  Do you get sources
>or just the executable versions?  Do you get an on-line manual or does that
>come with the $500 bound manuals or since the Mac II is not really a mutli-
>user system like a Vax, are there on-line manuals?

It is a normal binary release of a UNIX system. You get
executables, enough stuff to binary reconfigure your system
(though it will do it automatically when asked), an online
manual but not source thereof, and a printed manual (at least
we have a printed manual - it might have been extra).

>Is it too much of a pain to have A/UX and Mac/OS partitions on the same dirve
>and run each operating systems in different parts of the day?  Can you run
>them both at the same time?

You *HAVE* to have a disk with a MacOS partition bacuase you
can only boot A/UX via MacOS. This is a BIG IRRITATION (Apple
are you listening?) especially as the A/UX version I have
cannot do anything at all with files on the MacOS partition. If
anyone is interested we have some code that implements an NFS
server for the MacOS partition (read-only) so that you can
mount it onto A/UX and then discover that nothing will run
properly.

>How compatible is it with the Suns?

Depends on your Sun. It won't run Sun binaries and it is based
on SYs V so some of the include files are different, but
otherwise it is usually reasonably easy to get source code
across. The biggest culture shock is using initab and a huge
mess of nested startup scripts rather than the BSD-style
/etc/rc.* files

>I tried to ask some local dealers and Apple reps but no one has been able to
>answer these seemingly simple questions.  Hopefully, someone here can.

Yes, well... most Mac dealers sell "black box" computers with "black
box" applications and so a UNIX system takes a while to get
used to. A/UX seems to be a mystery to a lot
of Apple people as well, for that matter.

--

William Roberts         ARPA: liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk  (gw: cs.ucl.edu)
Queen Mary College      UUCP: liam@qmc-cs.UUCP

aem@ibiza.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) (12/07/88)

In <2444@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, <pez@vax1.acs.udel.EDU> wrote:
>What exactly do you get and what is needed to run A/UX?  Do you get sources
>or just the executable versions?  Do you get an on-line manual or does that
>come with the $500 bound manuals or since the Mac II is not really a mutli-
>user system like a Vax, are there on-line manuals?

You need 4 meg, an MMMU, etc.  No sources.  On-line manual, incomplete.  I have
yet to receive our hardcopy manuals.

>Is it too much of a pain to have A/UX and Mac/OS partitions on the same dirve
>and run each operating systems in different parts of the day?  Can you run
>them both at the same time?

There's a way to set it up, but not having the manuals I haven't tried it. Can't
run both concurrently.

>How compatible is it with the Suns?

Not at all.

aem
a.e.mossberg    -    aem@mthvax.miami.edu    -    aem@mthvax.span (3.91)
Support the international boycott against South Africa!

jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu.engin.umich.edu (John F. Mansfield) (12/07/88)

In article <1069@umbio.MIAMI.EDU> aem@Mthvax.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:
>>In <2444@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, <pez@vax1.acs.udel.EDU> wrote:
>>How compatible is it with the Suns?
>
>Not at all.

It is not strictly true, Since A/UX take up so much of the 80 meg disk
it comes on, I have the user space setup on my Sun system so that I
can take advantage og the 320 meg drive there.  There is no real
conflict with having the same user directory for both the Sun and the
Mac although you do have to keep separate directories for executables.
NFS seems to work very well.

"See you at the barricades babe, see you when the lights go low Joe,
 Hear you when the wheels turn round, some day when the sky turns black."
						Ian McCulloch.
ARPANET: jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu or john_mansfield.um.cc.umich.edu