[comp.unix.aux] m_expand & /usr/lib/big

perf@hurratio.tde.lth.se (Per Foreby) (12/04/88)

1. I keep getting a strange error-mesage on the console:

	"m_expand returning 0".

   Anyone knows what it means?

2. In /usr/lib/big there are versions of cpp, c0, c1, as, ld and
   optim. cc -B /usr/lib/big/ works fine for programs that are so
   large that I get symbol table overflow. But I can't find any
   documentation. Does anyone know what the differens is
   between these files and the normal /lib/cpp etc.?

  Per Foreby              Dept of Applied Electronics
  perf@tde.lth.se         Lund Institute of Technology, Lund, Sweden

aem@ibiza.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) (12/07/88)

In <5861@hurratio.tde.lth.se>, <perf@tde.lth.se> wrote:
>1. I keep getting a strange error-mesage on the console:

>	"m_expand returning 0".

>   Anyone knows what it means?

Page 6-17 of A/UX Release Notes 1.0 -
	Someone tried to allocate mbuf buffers twice. Also caused when the
	IPC code cannot get additional memory for buffers. Add physical
	memory or reduce use.

We get the error all the time when using rlogin or telnet while also having ftp
connections open.

>2. In /usr/lib/big there are versions of cpp, c0, c1, as, ld and
>   optim. cc -B /usr/lib/big/ works fine for programs that are so
>   large that I get symbol table overflow. But I can't find any
>   documentation. Does anyone know what the differens is
>   between these files and the normal /lib/cpp etc.?

That's exactly what they're for--programs too big for the standard cpp c0 c1 etc.

aem
a.e.mossberg    -    aem@mthvax.miami.edu    -    aem@mthvax.span (3.91)
Support the international boycott against South Africa!

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (12/08/88)

In article <1070@umbio.MIAMI.EDU> aem@Mthvax.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:
>>1. I keep getting a strange error-mesage on the console:
>>	"m_expand returning 0".
>We get the error all the time when using rlogin or telnet while also having ftp
>connections open.

Try using kconfig to increase the number of mbufs in your system ....

>a.e.mossberg    -    aem@mthvax.miami.edu    -    aem@mthvax.span (3.91)
>Support the international boycott against South Africa!

	Here! Here!

	Paul

--
Paul Campbell			..!{unisoft|mtxinu}!taniwha!paul (415)420-8179
Taniwha Systems Design, Oakland CA

 	"Read my lips .... no GNU taxes"

aem@ibiza.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) (12/09/88)

In <238@taniwha.UUCP>, <paul@taniwha.UUCP> wrote:
>In article <1070@umbio.MIAMI.EDU> aem@Mthvax.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:
>>>1. I keep getting a strange error-mesage on the console:
>>>	"m_expand returning 0".
>>We get the error all the time when using rlogin or telnet while also having ftp
>>connections open.

>Try using kconfig to increase the number of mbufs in your system ....

When I set up the systems, I did go through the procedure on page 2-3 of the
A/UX Release Notes for a 4mb system (increse NBUF,NINODE, and NFILE).  According
to the kconfig man page (on-line), you should start allocating using the formula
(8192*#nfs_daemons)/240 which gives for our system 136. ???  According to
'kconfig -a' we have 500 allocated.  I'll try increasing it to 800 and see if that
helps any.

Thanks,

aem
a.e.mossberg    -    aem@mthvax.miami.edu    -    aem@mthvax.span (3.91)
A people who extend civil liberties only to preferred groups start down
the path either to a dictatorship of the right or left. - William O. Douglas