[comp.unix.aux] Partitions in AUX

dgplab@dgp.toronto.edu (George Drettakis) (01/26/89)

I have a MacII running AUX and a new 20 MB SCSI disk that has 4 partitions on it.
I used dp (1M) to change the parition (DPM Index 3) type to Unix File System,
and apparently the whole disk is called /dev/dsk/c1d0s31.
What I cant understand is how the "slice" number relates to the DPM parition
index so that one can get mkfs to work and subsequently mount the file system.
Am I missing something essential ?

--

George Drettakis                  Dynamic Graphics Project
Systems Administrator             Computer Systems Research Institute

price@white.toronto.edu (Blaine Price) (01/26/89)

In article <8901252249.AA06324@explorer.dgp.toronto.edu> dgplab@dgp.toronto.edu (George Drettakis) writes:
>I have a MacII running AUX and a new 20 MB SCSI disk that has 4 partitions on it.
>I used dp (1M) to change the parition (DPM Index 3) type to Unix File System,
>and apparently the whole disk is called /dev/dsk/c1d0s31.
>What I cant understand is how the "slice" number relates to the DPM parition
>index so that one can get mkfs to work and subsequently mount the file system.
>Am I missing something essential ?

Missing something?  Do you have the installation guide?  If so, look
on Page 70 (Ch. 8: Where to Go From Here, Section 6), where it says
"use the pname utility to associate these partitions with A/UX device nodes."

In your case, do a pname -af -c1 -s3 "partitionName" and /dev/dsk/c1d0s3
becomes associated with partition "partitionName" after which you can
run mkfs on /dev/dsk/c1d0s3 and then mount it.  What could be simpler? B-)
--
Blaine Price  (416) 978-5182 (lab-7140)  price@white.UToronto.{CA,Bitnet}
Dept. of Computer Science    (fax-4765)           price@white.toronto.edu