[comp.unix.aux] Two Questions

eberard@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Edward Berard) (01/23/89)

Now that the Macintosh SE/30 and A/UX 1.1 have been officially
announced, I have two (apparently) unrelated questions:

	1. It would seem that a Macintosh SE/30 equipped with an 80
	   megabyte internal drive could possibly support A/UX.(I will
	   allow that one might be well-advised to augment such an SE
	   with an external hard disk.) Is this an intended
	   possibility? What other considerations, if any are
	   required?

	2. For some reason, A/UX 1.0 did not allow complete access to
	   the Macintosh toolbox. Does A/UX version 1.1 now provide
	   complete access to the toolbox? If not, what is still
	   "unaccessible"? What other considerations should one be
	   aware of when attempting to access the toolbox under A/UX
	   1.1?

				-- Ed Berard
				   Phone: (301) 695-6960
				   FAX: (301) 695-7734

paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) (01/24/89)

#
#	1. It would seem that a Macintosh SE/30 equipped with an 80
#	   megabyte internal drive could possibly support A/UX.(I will
#	   allow that one might be well-advised to augment such an SE
#	   with an external hard disk.) Is this an intended
#	   possibility? What other considerations, if any are
#	   required?
#
Nothing official, but:

we tested the SE/30 and found A/UX 1.01 to be able to run on the SE/30.
I see no non-marketing reason for Apple not the officially support A/UX
for the SE/30.

All in all I thought the machine was _fast_. Real fast. But speed
comes at a price.
#				-- Ed Berard
#				   Phone: (301) 695-6960
#				   FAX: (301) 695-7734

        Paul Molenaar

	"Just checking the walls"
		- Basil Fawlty -
--
        Paul Molenaar

	"Just checking the walls"
		- Basil Fawlty -

magorian@brillig.umd.edu (Dan Magorian) (01/25/89)

The Only reason(s) that Apple currently is not supporting, or marketing
A/UX 1.1 for the SE 030 is that there is NO Ethernet support (no NuBus) for
the SE, as aux only ran on a II before the new release. They list another reason
as being no support for the serial ports for printing, but I haven't been able
to test that yet (doesn't make sense??).  I believe that a 2nd qtr release for
1.1.1 for the fixes is projected.

shebanow@Apple.COM (Andrew Shebanow) (01/28/89)

A/UX 1.1 will run on the SE/30, provided you have 4 megs of memory
and the disk space. Apple did not announce this compatibility
because one of the announced features of A/UX 1.1 was printing
over LocalTalk, and this feature doesn't work on the SE/30 since
no intelligent LocalTalk cards are available. When such a card
becomes available from a third party, A/UX may need an update
to support it.

A/UX 1.1 does support a lot more of the Mac toolbox than 1.0,
including color and printing. It does not support 100% of the
toolbox: in particular, low level, hardware specific code like
the SCSI Manager, the Time Manager, and the Serial driver are
not supported.

In order to find out more about A/UX compatibility, you should
read the "A/UX Toolbox: Macintosh ROM Reference" manual, which
is included with A/UX, and which will hopefully be available
from APDA someday soon. You should also read Technical Note #212,
which is available on sumex and from APDA.

Andrew Shebanow, Futurist, Developer Technical Support, Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: shebanow@apple.com
    UUCP: {decwrl, hoptoad, nsc, sun, amdahl}!apple!shebanow

jpm@sauna.cs.hut.fi (Jussi-Pekka Mantere) (01/28/89)

In article <15619@mimsy.UUCP>, magorian@brillig (Dan Magorian) writes:
>The Only reason(s) that Apple currently is not supporting, or marketing
>A/UX 1.1 for the SE 030 is that there is NO Ethernet support (no NuBus) for
>the SE, as aux only ran on a II before the new release.

Well, Ethernet support doesn't really depend that much on NuBus. Already you
can hook any Mac with a SCSI port to Ethernet, and there are Ethernet cards
both for the SE and II. And now SE/30 is out, and so are the cards for the
Direct Slot. Once you have your SE/30 with A/UX you would just plug in the
verdor specific driver for your Ethernet card and start to NetWork. That's
all there is to it.

Or there should be.

Of course, A/UX would have to support the Direct Slot cards, and Apple
should have it's own Ethernet card for it (is there a one for the SE?).

--
Jussi-Pekka Mantere				jpm@cs.hut.fi
Helsinki University of Technology, Finland	jpm@finhutcs.bitnet

domo@riddle.UUCP (Dominic Dunlop) (02/01/89)

	(Edward Berard) writes:
>#Now that the Macintosh SE/30 and A/UX 1.1 have been officially
>#announced, I have two (apparently) unrelated questions:
>#
>#	1. It would seem that a Macintosh SE/30 equipped with an 80
>#	   megabyte internal drive could possibly support A/UX...
>#
>Nothing official, but:
>
>we tested the SE/30 and found A/UX 1.01 to be able to run on the SE/30.
>I see no non-marketing reason for Apple not the officially support A/UX
>for the SE/30.

A trivial reason for non-support on the SE/30 that I can think of
would be that A/UX might not include a driver for the  "classic Mac"
one bit-per-pixel, not too many pixels, screen.  Ed, were you using
the SE/30's own screen, which I understand is still of the "classic Mac"
variety, or were you using something outboard?  (Actually, I guess not,
as I don't think anybody yet has expansion cards for the SE/30's new (as
opposed to Nu) bus slot.)

By the way, talking of marketing reasons, the SE/30 will ship in Europe
with a 40 megabyte drive rather than 80.  Anybody care to suggest a good
basis for that decision?
--
Dominic Dunlop
domo@sphinx.co.uk  domo@riddle.uucp

dwb@Apple.COM (David W. Berry) (02/03/89)

In article <15619@mimsy.UUCP> magorian@brillig.umd.edu.UUCP (Dan Magorian) writes:

>The Only reason(s) that Apple currently is not supporting, or marketing
>A/UX 1.1 for the SE 030 is that there is NO Ethernet support (no NuBus) for
>the SE, as aux only ran on a II before the new release. They list another reason
>as being no support for the serial ports for printing, but I haven't been able
>to test that yet (doesn't make sense??).  I believe that a 2nd qtr release for
>1.1.1 for the fixes is projected.
	Well, it supports printing through the serial poras per normal
unix printing.  What it doesn't support is AppleTalk printing though the
on board serial ports.  That (AppleTalk printing) requires one of the
third party communications boards (either AST or SuperMac)  Because of the
differences between the Direct 30 slot and a NuBus slot (like, they're
completely different) the drivers aren't ready.  If third parties produce
the boards and the drivers they should work just fine.

Opinions:  MINE, ALL MINE! (greedy evil chuckle)

David W. Berry
apple!dwb@sun.com	dwb@apple.com	973-5168@408.MaBell

dr@cs.columbia.edu (David Robinowitz) (02/05/89)

I am in the process of buying a SE/030 (i.e. I am waiting for its arrival!).
I am also interested in A/UX for this new baby, but I am completely clueless
about it.  So here are my questions:
1) How is A/UX distributed?  Only on Apple drives? Floppies, tapes?

2) How much is it?!

3) Will future versions officially support the SE/30?

4) FOr networking multiple A/UX sites, can one use an SCSI ethernet
device in lieu of a direct-slot card?  I am interested in filling in the slot
with an external monitor card (in the distant future).

5) Any info re: MACH for the Macs?

Please respond via Email or through the net -- your help is greatly
appreciated!