[comp.unix.aux] A/UX and MacOS sharing Mac binaries?

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (01/28/89)

Is it possible to have one set of MacOS binaries served
by a Unix fileserver that can be executed by both MacII's
running A/UX (over NFS),  and Macs runing MacOS over
Appleshare?

What I haven't filled in above is what would do the
Appleshare service for the Unix server. The two possibilties
I know of are AUFS, or just letting a gatorbox do the
translation.

The key issue in this question, is just having one set of
Mac binaries for both servers.
--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP

liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk (William Roberts) (02/07/89)

In article <3650@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>Is it possible to have one set of MacOS binaries served
>by a Unix fileserver that can be executed by both MacII's
>running A/UX (over NFS),  and Macs runing MacOS over
>Appleshare?
>
>What I haven't filled in above is what would do the
>Appleshare service for the Unix server. The two possibilties
>I know of are AUFS, or just letting a gatorbox do the
>translation.

You'd use NFS for the A/UX stuff, but watch out: the
ToolboxDaemon reads directories as files and expects to see
SysV directory entries, so it all fails in a ghastly way if the
file server is not a 68000-based SysV machine. In fact, when I
suffered this problem, the toolboxdaemon destroyed my /tmp
partition, which I suspect means that it plays fast and loose
with mmap and so breaks the memory protection (sigh!).

A/UX works OK with the Apple Double Format files, so it would
probably be easiest to modify AUFS so that it stores the
.finderinfo parts as effectively prefixes to the resource fork.
It is also necessary to store both resource and data in the
same directory (I think), the A/UX convention is to put % on
the front of the name to indicate the resource fork, but that
is probably even less difficult. The finderinfo is of a fixed
size, so this won't unduly affect performance, unlike the Apple
Single Format which has all of the parts in the same file.

What have you got that will actually RUN under A/UX without a)
dying or b) trying to use colour/noises/printers which aren't
there in release 1.0?
--

William Roberts         ARPA: liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk
Queen Mary College      UUCP: liam@qmc-cs.UUCP