[comp.unix.aux] Stuffit runs under A/UX

urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de (Matthias Urlichs) (02/11/89)

About the only program which I really use under A/UX is StuffIt 1.51.
Surprised me a lot when it didn't crash.

Two problems surfaced:
1- RayLau used the global variable Ticks instead of the function TickCount.
  Result: The version number doesn't blink any more. :-)
2- A/UX does not support HFS calls. And GetVolInfo returns a maximum of
  one MB of free disk storage. Now I challenge you to unstuff a 2 MB document.
  StuffIt is too clever for you and won't do it.
  Solution: Find and patch the only occurrence of
      6464 2f2e 000e       and replace with
      6064 2f2e 000e       (tried this in UnStuffit 1.51 but should work with
			    Stuffit too)
  This disables the test for "not enough" free storage.

Now if I could only read HFS disks (and hard disks) directly.
(Oh well, waiting for A/UX 1.1 ...)
--
Matthias Urlichs -- Humboldtstrasse 7 -- 7500 Karlsruhe 1 -- FRG
urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de -- ++49+721-621127@PTT

dwb@Apple.COM (David W. Berry) (02/14/89)

In article <813@smurf.ira.uka.de> urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>About the only program which I really use under A/UX is StuffIt 1.51.
>Surprised me a lot when it didn't crash.
>
>Two problems surfaced:
>1- RayLau used the global variable Ticks instead of the function TickCount.
>  Result: The version number doesn't blink any more. :-)
	Well, since 1.1 is now announced I guess we can talk about it :-)
A/UX 1.1 supports the Ticks low memory variable as part of the ongoing
effort to support as much of the toolbox as possible.  Know that we've
got the major functionality of StuffIt fixed...

>2- A/UX does n
ot support HFS calls. And GetVolInfo returns a maximum of
>  one MB of free disk storage. Now I challenge you to unstuff a 2 MB document.
>  StuffIt is too clever for you and won't do it.
	Actually, it does support HFS calls, it just doesn't support all
of them.  Once again, this has been radically improved with 1.1.  One
remaining known problem is that GetVolInfo returns a fixed amount of
free space (1000 blocks).  Unfortunately there isn't a clean fix to the
problem since HFS is a forest of trees and UNIX has a single tree.  Which
of the many disks in the unix file system to they want to know the size
of?  Suggestions gladly accepted.

Opinions:  MINE, ALL MINE! (greedy evil chuckle)

David W. Berry		(A/UX Toolbox Engineer)
apple!dwb@sun.com	dwb@apple.com	973-5168@408.MaBell