[comp.unix.aux] A/UX on an SE/30?

mike@shogun.cc.umich.edu (Michael Nowak) (02/12/89)

I have been interested in getting a system capable of running A/UX but
have been turned off to the cost and lack of luggability of the Mac II or
IIx.  With the introduction of the SE/30, I see a viable alternative:
the SE/30 is cheaper and certainly more portable.  Unfortunately, I
can't seem to get a straight answer about A/UX on the SE/30.  Is it possible?
Is it planned?  Will it be supported by Apple?

 Michael Nowak                                          ...mailrus!shogun!mike
 Workstation Consultant                               mike@shogun.cc.umich.edu
 U of M Computing Center User Services              Mike_Nowak@um.cc.umich.edu

    ...working for but in no way representing the University of Michigan...

andy@topologix.topologix.com (Andy Pfiffer) (02/13/89)

In article <914@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> mike@shogun.cc.umich.edu () writes:
>Unfortunately, I
>can't seem to get a straight answer about A/UX on the SE/30.  Is it possible?
>Is it planned?  Will it be supported by Apple?
> Michael Nowak                                          ...mailrus!shogun!mike

I have yet to get a straight answer, either.  I know of someone who said they
saw it running (A/UX 1.1) on an SE/30, but couldn't provide details.

While I'm sure both are fine products, I'm not terribly interested (enough to
make a purchase) in either A/UX on a Mac II or an SE/30 running the latest
System 6.X.X.  However, if I could get a definitive official response --
perhaps even an unofficial response, I'd start the wheels in motion to buy
an SE/30 & A/UX combo.

I think I'd even settle for a piece of paper that says "It won't work out of
the shrink-wrap, and it isn't supported, but this is what you can do to make
it run."

I suppose the last few feet up the mountain are the hardest...nice form-factor,
reasonable price/performance ratios, mainstream machine with a large support
base --- but will it run Unix???

Enlightment would be overwhelmingly appreciated...
Andy Pfiffer			  Topologix, Inc. (303) 421-7700
Trillium Diving Team              4860 Ward Road / Wheat Ridge, CO 80033
"...that's the way a Transputer works, right?"

dwb@Apple.COM (David W. Berry) (02/14/89)

In article <214@topologix.topologix.com> andy@topologix.com (Andy Pfiffer) writes:
>In article <914@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> mike@shogun.cc.umich.edu () writes:
>I have yet to get a straight answer, either.  I know of someone who said they
>saw it running (A/UX 1.1) on an SE/30, but couldn't provide details.

	OK.  Here's the straight scoop.  A/UX 1.1 does run on an SE/030.
Support hasn't been announced for a number of reasons:

1.  No supported ethernet boards.  Slip does work.
2.  No apple talk printing.
3.  The small screen size causes a number of cosmetic problems where output
was designed for the larger screen of the Mac II.

Opinions:  MINE, ALL MINE! (greedy evil chuckle)

David W. Berry		(A/UX Toolbox Engineer)
apple!dwb@sun.com	dwb@apple.com	973-5168@408.MaBell