[comp.unix.aux] The Relationship Between TCP/IP and B-Net?

eberard@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Edward Berard) (02/15/89)

I am looking for information regarding TCP/IP and B-Net. Specifically,
I would like either an explanation of their relationship, or a pointer
to where such an explanation could be found. Also useful would be an
explanation of the relationship between B-Net and NFS (Network File
System), and RPC (Remote Procedure Call).

As I understand it... Pipes, socketpairs and sockets are part of
B-Net. Sockets with Internet Domain map to TCP (stream) or UDP
(datagram). A/UX (and Sun) have NFS that is built on TCP/UDP/IP to
avoid using lower-level socket abstractions. Is NFS (and related
layers) part of B-Net or a separate product (protocol)?

Are there any good self-contained references on B-Net? (I am not
even sure if "B-Net" is a generic name, or a vendor-specific term.)

				-- Greg M. Bowen
				   (301) 695-6960
				   Toll Free: (800) 877-1815

amanda@lts.UUCP (Amanda Walker) (02/16/89)

eberard@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Edward Berard) writes:
    I am looking for information regarding TCP/IP and B-Net. Specifically,
    I would like either an explanation of their relationship, or a pointer
    to where such an explanation could be found.

As far as I know, "B-Net" is a term used by Apple and/or Unisoft to refer
to "Berkeley Networking," i.e., something compatible with 4.[23]BSD
networking.  In the case of A/UX this consists of a socket interface which
can be used with UNIX domain sockets, TCP/IP sockets, and so on.

--
Amanda Walker			...!uunet!lts!amanda / lts!amanda@uunet.uu.net
			  InterCon, 11732 Bowman Green Drive, Reston, VA 22090

phil@Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone) (02/16/89)

In article <468@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu> eberard@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Edward Berard) writes:
>I am looking for information regarding TCP/IP and B-Net. Specifically,
>I would like either an explanation of their relationship, ...
>Are there any good self-contained references on B-Net? (I am not
>even sure if "B-Net" is a generic name, or a vendor-specific term.)

B-NET stands for Berkeley NETworking. It is the name supplied to the BSD 4.x
networking code ported over to A/UX (which is System V based). A reasonable
reference is the A/UX manual "A/UX Communications User's Guide".

B-NET (or BNET) the term was coined by UniSoft. UniSoft has spelled it both
ways for a number of years.

| Philip K. Ronzone      | A/UX System Architect | APPLELINK: RONZONE1        |
| 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd.  | Computer viruses don't cause security problems,    |
| Cupertino CA 95014     | computer programmers do ...                        |
|{amdahl,decwrl,sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual,unisoft}!apple!phil                 |