[comp.unix.aux] Getting A/UX to display the correct time

lad@sdl.UUCP (Lawrence A. Deleski) (02/22/89)

I'm having trouble getting A/UX to set EST as the correct time zone.  I used
the command 'tzic -l EST', and thought it should of worked.  The time zone
is still PST.  Any ideas?

--
        Lawrence A. Deleski             |       Silicon Compiler Systems
        uunet!clyde!sdl!bub!lad         |       15 Independence Blvd.

jimi@h-three.UUCP (jimi) (03/02/89)

In article <1146@bub.sdl.UUCP>, lad@sdl.UUCP (Lawrence A. Deleski) writes:

> I'm having trouble getting A/UX to set EST as the correct time zone.  I used
> the command 'tzic -l EST', and thought it should of worked.  The time zone
> is still PST.  Any ideas?

Comments apply to A/UX 1.0.1. I hope this has been fixed, and made
more sensible, in A/UX 1.1.

The method of setting the time zone described in the _A/UX Installation
Guide_ (pp. 31 ff.) doesn't work; responses are ignored.

The -m and (in some cases) -p options to mactime(1M) are supposed to
set time zone in the Macintosh II real-time clock chip, but I suspect
this doesn't work either. I haven't experimented with it.

Time zone handling is described in the file /README. A summary follows.

The environment variable TZ, if used, must be set and exported in these
files:

	/.login
	/.profile
	/etc/bcheckrc
	/etc/profile
	/etc/rc
	/etc/sysinitrc
	/users/start/.login

(My A/UX system reported the correct time before I changed
/users/start/.login)

For example, if you're in EST, change

	TZ=PST8PDT; export TZ

	TZ=EST5EDT; export TZ

Alternatively, if TZ is not set A/UX uses time zone data from
files in the directory /etc/zoneinfo. This is especially useful
if your time zone doesn't have a standard 3-letter acronym or
is not exactly n hours from GMT. I haven't tried this either.

AT&T UNIX systems (System V R3.[0,1,2]) set and export TZ in only
ONE file (/etc/TIMEZONE). UNIX System V R2.2 set and exported TZ
in only ONE file (/etc/environment). This is so much better than
A/UX, which sets and exports TZ in SEVEN files when ONE would do.

--
Jim Ingram	          uunet!h-three!jimi | jimi%h-three@uunet.uu.net
h-three Systems Corporation   P.O. Box 12557 RTP NC 27709   919 549 8334