[comp.unix.aux] problems with NFS mounting

gregb@dowjone.UUCP (Gregory S. Baber) (02/28/89)

I have A/UX 1.0 :-( running on a Mac2. I have an Etherport II card
from Kinetics with the A/UX drivers. I have NFS up and running and
can rlogin to and from the Mac2 to the Sun, Telnet back and forth, etc.
The Sun is on thick ethernet, the Mac2 is on thin, connected to the
Sun network via a Cabletron MR-2000C repeater. I can mount Sun volumes
from the Mac2, but I can't mount Mac2 volumes from the Sun. I get:
	% mount -t nfs -o rsize=1024,wsize=1024,retry=10 mac2:/users /mnt
	mount: access denied for mac2:/users
	mount: giving up on:
	   /mnt
	%
I have /users listed in the /etc/exports file on the Mac2, inittab is set
to "wait" for an NFS server, and all permissions are 777. Anybody have
any idea as to what's up???     Thanks,  gregb

--
Reply to: Gregory S. Baber		Voice:	(609) 520-5077
	  Dow Jones & Co., Inc.		UUCP:	..princeton!dowjone!gregb

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (03/02/89)

In article <436@gregb.UUCP> gregb@dowjone.UUCP (Gregory S. Baber) writes:
>I can mount Sun volumes
>from the Mac2, but I can't mount Mac2 volumes from the Sun. I get:
>	% mount -t nfs -o rsize=1024,wsize=1024,retry=10 mac2:/users /mnt
>	mount: access denied for mac2:/users
>	mount: giving up on:
>	   /mnt
>	%
>I have /users listed in the /etc/exports file on the Mac2, inittab is set
>to "wait" for an NFS server, and all permissions are 777. Anybody have
>any idea as to what's up???     Thanks,  gregb

If rpc.mountd cannot resolve the hostname stored in the UNIX-style credential
to the IP address from which the mount RPC request came, you would see the
behavior you describe.

Make sure the Sun's name and IP address can be discovered on the Mac II
through YP or named.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer