[comp.unix.aux] Questions about tcsh and lpr

perf@hurratio.tde.lth.se (Per Foreby) (03/05/89)

Two simple (?) questions:

1. Has anyone ported tcsh to A/UX?

2. Is it possible to use a remote printer on anoter unix computer (not
   running A/UX? (using the rm:... in /etc/printcap or something like
   that).
   I can't find a man-page for printcap but with /usr/ucb/lpr as a
   shell-script that doesn't surprise me. But in my A/UX-distribution
   (International 1.0) I find an /etc/printcap with a remote printer
   entry. That gives me the idea that it migth be possible... Right or
   wrong?

  Per Foreby              Dept of Applied Electronics
  perf@tde.lth.se         Lund Institute of Technology, Lund, Sweden

zdenko@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Zdenko Tomasic) (03/06/89)

In article <5945@hurratio.tde.lth.se> perf@tde.lth.se (Per Foreby) writes:
>Two simple (?) questions:
>
>1. Has anyone ported tcsh to A/UX?
			    ^^^^
	I don't know for sure if it was done, but it is unlikely
	since tcsh depends on the existing csh source. Thus you
	cannot do the port unless Apple provides you with csh
	source.

>  Per Foreby              Dept of Applied Electronics
>  perf@tde.lth.se         Lund Institute of Technology, Lund, Sweden

Zdenko Tomasic, UWM, Chem. Dept., P.O. Box 413, Milwaukee, WI 53201
UUCP: uwvax!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!zdenko
ARPA: zdenko@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

steveg@tove.umd.edu (Steve Green) (03/06/89)

The README for tcsh says it will work with AUX....but you need the csh source
code.  What are the legalities of someone posting that code?

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (03/06/89)

In article <16225@mimsy.UUCP> steveg@tove.umd.edu.UUCP (Steve Green) wrote:
>The README for tcsh says it will work with AUX....but you need the csh source
>code.  What are the legalities of someone posting that code?

Unless and until the Berkeley code police certify the code as 100% free
of AT&T content, and Berkeley decides to give it away, it's probably a
violation of copyright and/or non-disclosure agreements to transmit csh
code to anyone who does not have a BSD source license.

Alternative: learn to use ksh.  It comes with AUX, and is available
without need for hacking.  The ksh functions in the back of the
KornShell book, together with what's built into ksh itself, provide a
complete and flexible working environment.

	Chuck Karish	karish@denali.stanford.edu
			hplabs!hpda!mindcrf!karish

verber@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) (03/06/89)

Paul Placeway (paul@cis.ohio-state.edu) has built tcsh to run under
A/UX.  He fed the changes to Apple.  I expect we will see tcsh as a
release part of A/UX at some point.  In the mean time, those people
who have source licenses shouldn't have any problem applying tcsh
modifications to your csh sources.

Mark A. Verber				  Physics Department
verber@cis.ohio-state.edu		  Ohio State University
verber@mps.ohio-state.edu		  174 West 18th Avenue
614-292-8002				  Columbus,  OH 43210

   There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and
   BSD UNIX.  We don't believe this to be a coincidence.