[comp.unix.aux] Mac //x compile times under A/UX

cracker@Portia.Stanford.EDU (John Danner) (03/14/89)

Here is a chart of compile times for several machines in our lab
for approximately 1820 lines of C source with comments:

Sun3/60   Sun4/260   Apollo DN4500   Mac IIx(8 megs)
45 s         27s         38s            3min 11s

Everex 386 Step20(4 megs)  (8 megs)    Sun386i
     2min 5s                 1min50s     57s

I wouldn't think of comparing the Mac to the higher priced workstations,
but the Everex's running ISC's Unix are significantly faster than the
Mac.  Are we doing something wrong?  Has anyone else noticed this?

John

phil@Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone) (03/14/89)

In article <867@Portia.Stanford.EDU> cracker@Portia.Stanford.EDU (John Danner) writes:
>Here is a chart of compile times for several machines in our lab
>for approximately 1820 lines of C source with comments:
>Sun3/60   Sun4/260   Apollo DN4500   Mac IIx(8 megs)
>45 s         27s         38s            3min 11s
>.........  Are we doing something wrong?  Has anyone else noticed this?

Well, yes (doing something wrong). You are comparing apples and oranges.
Unless you are running the exact same C compilers on each machine, then you
have a large part of the benchmark measuring compiler speed, not machine
speed. For example, on a Mac II, I'm compiling over 2000 lines of C in 22
seconds -- but using LSC under Mac OS. However, it only takes 1m23s under
A/UX. I don't know why you are taking 3mins+

+------------------------+-----------------------+----------------------------+
| Philip K. Ronzone      | A/UX System Architect | APPLELINK: RONZONE1        |
| Apple Computer MS 27AJ +-----------------------+----------------------------+
| 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd.  | Computer viruses don't cause security problems,    |
| Cupertino CA 95014     | computer programmers do ...                        |
+------------------------+----------------------------------------------------+
|{amdahl,decwrl,sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual,unisoft}!apple!phil                 |

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (03/15/89)

In article <867@Portia.Stanford.EDU> cracker@Portia.Stanford.EDU (John Danner) writes:
>Here is a chart of compile times for several machines in our lab
>for approximately 1820 lines of C source with comments:

Actually when comparing compilers in this manner you should first run the
source through cpp, because some systems may include many more .h files
than you expect (from includes within includes within .....).

	Paul

--
Paul Campbell, Taniwha Systems Design, Oakland CA ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul
"'Give me your tired, your poor - I'll piss on them' that`s what the

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (03/15/89)

In article <867@Portia.Stanford.EDU> cracker@Portia.Stanford.EDU (John Danner) writes:
>Here is a chart of compile times for several machines in our lab
>for approximately 1820 lines of C source with comments:

The Mac II does not have DMA, I believe.
I assume this will slow down any disk activity.

--
	Bruce G. Barnett 	barnett@ge-crd.ARPA, barnett@steinmetz.ge.com
				uunet!steinmetz!barnett