[comp.unix.aux] dumpfs

dgplab@dgp.toronto.edu (George Drettakis) (03/22/89)

We have a MacII/AUX connected to our ethernet, and we have a network based
dumping facility. There is a manual page for /etc/dumpfs but the
program is not there. Is there anyone with a dumpfs I can ftp from ?
Is this the same on all AUX systems ? Have I been missing something,
I seem to remember discussion on dumping lately..
thanks,

--
George Drettakis, Sys. Admin.          Dynamic Graphics Project
UUCP: ..!uunet!dgp.toronto.edu!dgplab  Computer Systems Research Institute

dwb@sticks.apple.com (David W. Berry) (03/23/89)

In article <8903221738.AA12938@caboto.dgp.toronto.edu> dgplab@dgp.toronto.edu (George Drettakis) writes:
>We have a MacII/AUX connected to our ethernet, and we have a network based
>dumping facility. There is a manual page for /etc/dumpfs but the
>program is not there. Is there anyone with a dumpfs I can ftp from ?
>Is this the same on all AUX systems ? Have I been missing something,
>I seem to remember discussion on dumping lately..
>thanks,
	A/UX 1.0 did not include the berkeley dump and restore
utilities.  They are included with A/UX 1.1 as dump.bsd, restore,
rdump, and rrestore.

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (03/23/89)

In article <8903221738.AA12938@caboto.dgp.toronto.edu> dgplab@dgp.toronto.edu (George Drettakis) writes:
>We have a MacII/AUX connected to our ethernet, and we have a network based
>dumping facility. There is a manual page for /etc/dumpfs but the
>program is not there.

     We have A/UX 1.0, and the dump/restore programs are, as you say,
"not there."  The programs weren't done by release date is what I heard.

     Might I suggest tar?  It's a little bit more work, and you have
to make sure you don't run off the end of the tape, but you can create
archives with it.  I have used something like:

% tar cf - /dirname | compress | rsh otherhost "cat > /dev/tapewhatever"

     If you really want to squeeze bytes on your tape, you could
substitute "dd" for "cat" and use some large block size.  Maybe you
should use "remsh" also.

     Hint to Apple:  Anyone buying a UNIX box is not going to be
exactly thrilled with the presence of manual entries for non-existent
programs.  A year later, I am still reeling from the shock.

earleh:xyzzy:32768:7:Earle R. Horton,,,6434109:/hackers/earleh:/bin/rn

aem@ibiza.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) (03/24/89)

In <12742@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, <earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu> wrote:
>     Might I suggest tar?  It's a little bit more work, and you have
>to make sure you don't run off the end of the tape, but you can create
>archives with it.  I have used something like:

>% tar cf - /dirname | compress | rsh otherhost "cat > /dev/tapewhatever"

>     If you really want to squeeze bytes on your tape, you could
>substitute "dd" for "cat" and use some large block size.  Maybe you
>should use "remsh" also.

Especially since using 'rsh' will give you a restricted shell rather than
a remote shell!  Also, you're assuming that compress was installed by the
user, since with 1.0 that isn't included. (it does come in /usr/ucb under 1.1).

>     Hint to Apple:  Anyone buying a UNIX box is not going to be
>exactly thrilled with the presence of manual entries for non-existent
>programs.  A year later, I am still reeling from the shock.

Nor was I particularly about things present but not documented, or spurious
files apparently designed to trick people into thinking A/UX was better than
it actually is (e.g. the presence of /etc/printcap but no lpd, man pages for
the ms macros but no ms, etc, etc).

aem
a.e.mossberg aem@mthvax.miami.edu MIAVAX::AEM (Span) aem@umiami.BITNET (soon)
Beardsley's Warning to Lawyers: Beware of and eschew pompous prolixity.