[comp.unix.aux] General Overview of Mac & A/UX Capabilities

malczews@nunki.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) (03/24/89)

I'm trying to get a quick overview of just what capabilities currently are
available for the MacII & A/UX combo.  I've somewhat lost track of current
events, so would like to know:

What toolbox capabilities does A/UX not currently support?

What "standards" does it (currently/very near future) support -- e.g.,
X-windows, networking, etc?

How reliable is it (i.e., how compatible is it with other unix-based software)?

I.e., how does the A/UX state of the art presently stand?

I'd prefer personal mail, as it's easier to keep in one place...

  -- Frank Malczewski        (malczews@castor.usc.edu)

dwb@sticks.apple.com (David W. Berry) (03/29/89)

In article <3202@nunki.usc.edu> malczews@nunki.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) writes:
>What toolbox capabilities does A/UX not currently support?
	Multiple monitors, inits, hardware access and managers

>What "standards" does it (currently/very near future) support -- e.g.,
>X-windows, networking, etc?
	X-Windows
	TCP/IP (berkeley API)
	NFS
	Posix

>How reliable is it (i.e., how compatible is it with other unix-based software)?
	This seems to be two questions.  Release 1.1 is fairly reliable.
	Uptime tells me 7 days.  Other machines have been up as long as
	long as 39-50 days.  As far as compatiblity goes, we've ported
	a lot of berkeley and system v based code both with relatively
	little effort.

aem@ibiza.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) (03/31/89)

In <1089@internal.Apple.COM>, <dwb@sticks.apple.com> wrote:
>	This seems to be two questions.  Release 1.1 is fairly reliable.
>	Uptime tells me 7 days.  Other machines have been up as long as
>	long as 39-50 days.  As far as compatiblity goes, we've ported
>	a lot of berkeley and system v based code both with relatively
>	little effort.

I've had 1.0 up on some machines >50 days and only brought it down because
of UPS maintenance. 1.1beta I've had up 20+ days, 'til a professor thought
he'd like to run Macwrite...

aem

a.e.mossberg - aem@mthvax.miami.edu - aem@miavax.SPAN - aem@umiami.BITNET
The New York Times - "the most untrustworthy newspaper in the United States"
							- President Eisenhower

brp@linus.UUCP (Barry R. Paine) (04/11/89)

slkdfj

ehoward@oracle.uucp (Elliot Howard) (04/13/89)

In article <49009@linus.UUCP> brp@hoppi.UUCP (Barry Paine) writes:
>slkdfj

Very well done! This comment was clear, concise, and absolutely correct!
I couldn't have said it better myself!