[comp.unix.aux] A/UX cpp

rmtodd@uokmax.UUCP (Richard Michael Todd) (04/16/89)

In article <2787@rtech.rtech.com> brett@rtech.rtech.com (Brett Taylor) writes:
>The include file StringsDefs.h is indeed 245 lines of macro definitions.
>It looks like the preprocessor has it's limitations.  Has anyone else
>had this problem?  Do you know of a work around?  Maybe someone has the
>gcc preprocessor working for A/UX?
Yep, I've seen it too.  It is a preprocessor limitation.  The only workaround
I know of is to build GNU cpp and use it.  (Fortunately, GNU cpp will compile
with the A/UX preprocessor; some of the rest of GCC won't!).  I think you
should be able to get the GNU preprocessor working by using the config files
for a 3b1 and hacking it slightly--the differences between a Mac II and a 3b1
aren't in anything that affects the preprocessor.  I've got the GNU cpp working
(as far as I know...), but can't yet post it because I don't have a working
connection between my Mac and my modem (the A/UX manuals list 3 possible
cable configurations, none of which agree with each other or with the cable
I got from Jameco.  Sheesh...)
--
Richard Todd	Fido:1:147/1     USSnail:820 Annie Court,Norman OK 73069
Try one of these: rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us, rmtodd@killer.dallas.tx.us,

kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) (04/18/89)

In article <2947@uokmax.UUCP> rmtodd@uokmax.UUCP (Richard Michael Todd) writes:
 >In article <2787@rtech.rtech.com> brett@rtech.rtech.com (Brett Taylor) writes:
 >>The include file StringsDefs.h is indeed 245 lines of macro definitions.
 >>It looks like the preprocessor has it's limitations.  Has anyone else
 >>had this problem?  Do you know of a work around?

I know the source for X11r3 comes with a cpp that must be built for X11r3
to compile properly.  Have you tried building the "included" (no pun intended)
cpp?
--
					William Kucharski

ARPA: kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com
UUCP: ...!{ames,decwrl,sun,uunet}!amdahl!kucharsk

Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed above are my own, and may not agree with
	     those of any other sentient being, not to mention those of my
	     employer.  So there.