[comp.unix.aux] A/UX 1.1 hangs in multiuser mode

barad@rampart.ee.tulane.edu (Herb Barad) (04/24/89)

I've just installed version 1.1.  I've done this before on another Mac
with no problems.  This time, when I enter multiuser mode, I hang.
That is, when I login as root and give a password, it just sits there.
I must have forgotten something...  I can't even remote login to
shutdown the machine.  I have to reboot via the interrupt switch (not
a nice thing to do to unix).

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm running NFS and YP.  I have no
problems in single user mode, but when I type "init 2" I end up with
this problem.

Another weird point: when I boot up, it confuses a carraige return for
a line feed.  That is, if when it ask for TERM I hit the return, it
thinks it's just a ^M and not a return.  I need to hit ^J to have the
right effect.  Maybe these are related???

--
Herb Barad	[Signal & Image Processing Laboratory]
		[Electrical Engineering Dept. - Tulane Univ.]

boerner@ut-emx.UUCP (Brendan B. Boerner) (04/29/89)

In article <174@rampart.ee.tulane.edu> barad@bourbon.UUCP () writes:
>I've just installed version 1.1.  I've done this before on another Mac
>with no problems.  This time, when I enter multiuser mode, I hang.
>That is, when I login as root and give a password, it just sits there.
>I must have forgotten something...  I can't even remote login to
>shutdown the machine.  I have to reboot via the interrupt switch (not
>a nice thing to do to unix).
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm running NFS and YP.  I have no
>problems in single user mode, but when I type "init 2" I end up with
>this problem.

I have been having similar problems although I am using v1.0.  I also
noticed that it was doing this after installing NFS and YP.
Specifically, when I boot up in single user mode, I get the INIT:
SINGLE USER MODE message and then it sits very still for ~5 minutes.
It first appears that the machine has hung, but eventually it continues
with the W E L C O M E   T O   A / U X banner.  After issuing an init 2
from console, it comes back with the login: prompt.  I enter my name
and then my password when prompted.  Then, nothing.  After about 3
minutes I hear some disk activity and the login: prompt is
redisplayed.

Any ideas?
Brendan
------------------
Brendan B. Boerner
Microcomputer Services
The University of Texas @ Austin
Internet: boerner@emx.utexas.edu    UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!boerner
BITNET:   CCGB001@UTA3081.BITNET

phil@Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone) (04/29/89)

In article <12524@ut-emx.UUCP> boerner@emx.UUCP (Brendan B. Boerner) writes:
>In article <174@rampart.ee.tulane.edu> barad@bourbon.UUCP () writes:
>>I've just installed version 1.1.  I've done this before on another Mac
>>with no problems.  This time, when I enter multiuser mode, I hang.
>>
>I have been having similar problems although I am using v1.0.  I also
>noticed that it was doing this after installing NFS and YP.
>Specifically, when I boot up in single user mode, I get the INIT:
>SINGLE USER MODE message and then it sits very still for ~5 minutes.

In the first case, do you have a getty running on a second port that has
a cable hanging with no terminal attached?

Second case, perhaps it is looking for a server? Try taking out the
+:: line in /etc/passwd.

|Philip K. Ronzone, Apple Computer, 10440 Bubb Rd, MS 58A, Cupertino, CA 95014|
|{amdahl,decwrl,sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual,unisoft,...}!apple!phil             |
+-----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
| All "IMHOs" disclaimed and copyrighted. | Self defense is a human right ... |
+-----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

barad@bourbon.ee.tulane.edu (Herb Barad) (04/30/89)

Well, I guess I answered my own question - happens now and again.
Although I'm not sure why, it turns out that this machine needs ypserv
running if ypbind is to run.  This doesn't make sense since this
machine is NOT a YP server, just a YP client.  Anyway, as long as both
were enabled or both disabled, everything worked ok.  This didn't
happen on another A/UX system I installed, just this one that uses a
Sun 3/280 as its YP server.  The one that worked without ypserv used
another A/UX machine as YP server.

Any ideas to explain this?