[comp.unix.aux] mkfs interleave factors

rick@Apple.COM (Rick Auricchio) (05/24/89)

Just a quick note on what to use for the mkfs parameters for "gap" and
"blocks/cyl".  Use 1 and 1.

My tests have verified the observation that things are markedly slowed down
by the bogus defaults of 7 and 400.  I'm now changing those defaults to 1 and 1
for a future (post-1.1) release.

Use of 1 & 1 works fine on the drives I have here; Quantums have partial and
full-track buffering, hence they work well at 1-1 interleave.  Seagates don't
have onboard buffering, but A/UX 1.1 makes the 1-1 physical interleave anyway
with the Vulcan I/O acceleration code.

A/UX 1.0 may not be optimal with 1 & 1; it's possible that some interleaving
of filesystem blocks makes sense, but I haven't tried it.  I think it's better
to make the file system "right" so that it isn't horrible after an upgrade.

BTW, mkfs divides the "gap" value by 2 to get 512-byte blocks.  That makes
a gap of 1-3 become 1; 4-5 become 2; 6-8 become 3, etc.  Even dumber.

In conclusion, just use 1 & 1 for "gap" and "blocks/cyl".  This even improves
floppy performance by >2x.
--
Rick Auricchio, Apple Computer Inc, 20525 Mariani Av MS 27AJ Cupertino CA 95014
sun!apple!rick   OR   rick@apple.COM     Malibu N4364D     (408) 974-4227

dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) (05/25/89)

In article <31426@apple.Apple.COM> rick@apple.com (Rick Auricchio) writes:
>Just a quick note on what to use for the mkfs parameters for "gap" and
>"blocks/cyl".  Use 1 and 1.
>
>My tests have verified the observation that things are markedly slowed down
>by the bogus defaults of 7 and 400.  I'm now changing those defaults to 1 and 1
>for a future (post-1.1) release.
>
>Use of 1 & 1 works fine on the drives I have here; Quantums have partial and
>full-track buffering, hence they work well at 1-1 interleave.  Seagates don't
>have onboard buffering, but A/UX 1.1 makes the 1-1 physical interleave anyway
>with the Vulcan I/O acceleration code.

Hello Rick,

I got your link and saw your posting on the subject.  Just thought I'd add
my 2 cents.

It's also important to remember about physical interleave when preparing a
drive for A/UX.  Most drives (any I can think of) that provide even partial
track buffering will work great at a 1:1 interleave.  Unfortunately, not all
do provide this buffering.

Our own HD 20 SC performs best at 2:1 with a mkfs gap of 1.  Format it with
a 1:1 interleave and you'll nearly halve the performance.  Ouch.  Of course,
our HD SC setup program almost forces a 1:1 interleave when 'initializing'
on a MacII series.  You have to go through the cmd-I trick to use anything
else.

Yep, customers have asked me for the optimal settings for this drive and
A/UX.  I spent plenty of time playing around with whatever drives I could
dig up - That's how I came up with 2:1 for this one.  Other low-performance
drives will create the same problem when a 1:1 interleave is used.

-Dave

           Dave Wells, Apple Computer, Inc.  MS: 37-O  (408) 974-5515
          Mail: dwells@apple.com or AppleLink d.wells or GEnie D.WELLS
 These opinions may be nothing more than the ramblings of a fatigued tinkerer
                         -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
 There's one big difference between genius and stupidity.  Genius has limits.

goldfarb@farbmac.UUCP (Benjamin I. Goldfarb) (05/26/89)

In article <31611@apple.Apple.COM>, dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) writes:
> Our own HD 20 SC performs best at 2:1 with a mkfs gap of 1.  Format it with
> a 1:1 interleave and you'll nearly halve the performance.  Ouch.  Of course,
> our HD SC setup program almost forces a 1:1 interleave when 'initializing'
> on a MacII series.  You have to go through the cmd-I trick to use anything
> else.
>
> Yep, customers have asked me for the optimal settings for this drive and
> A/UX.  I spent plenty of time playing around with whatever drives I could
> dig up - That's how I came up with 2:1 for this one.  Other low-performance
> drives will create the same problem when a 1:1 interleave is used.
>
> -Dave

I have a Quantum Q280 internal 80 meg drive and a Quantum P80S external 80
meg drive.  I've formatted them both with 1:1 interleave and I use mkfs gap
of 1.  On one of the disks (the external), I have a 60 Meg MacOS partition
in addition to A/UX data.

Here's the question: if I accept Dave's advice and reformat both drives
with 2:1 interleave, will I decrease performance when using MacOS?  I assume
the answer is yes or Apple wouldn't recommend 1:1 interleave for Mac IIs.
If that is the case, is what I have now a reasonable compromise?  Or would
it be better to leave the outboard drive as is and just reformat the internal?

Optimization of mkfs m and n parameters has been a black art ever since
mkfs was born.  In the ten years or so I've been associated with UNIX I've
never developed a firm grasp on this phase of performance tuning.  Certainly
the discussions on Usenet through the years have shown that the empirical
method still reigns supreme in determining m and n.  I doubt that things
in this area will change toward a pat solution anytime in the near future,
given the combinatorial possibilities with drive characteristics, file system
organizations, processors, and the many other factors that influence file
system performance.

Ben Goldfarb			uucp: {decvax,peora}!ucf-cs!farbmac!goldfarb
Department of Computer Science	Internet: goldfarb%farbmac.uucp@ucf-cs.ucf.edu
University of Central Florida	BITNET: GOLDFARB@UCF1VM

dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) (05/31/89)

In article <182@farbmac.UUCP> goldfarb@farbmac.UUCP (Benjamin I. Goldfarb) writes:
>In article <31611@apple.Apple.COM>, dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) writes:
>> Our own HD 20 SC performs best at 2:1 with a mkfs gap of 1.  Format it with
>> a 1:1 interleave and you'll nearly halve the performance.  Ouch.  Of course,
>> our HD SC setup program almost forces a 1:1 interleave when 'initializing'
>> on a MacII series.  You have to go through the cmd-I trick to use anything
>> else.
>>
>> Yep, customers have asked me for the optimal settings for this drive and
>> A/UX.  I spent plenty of time playing around with whatever drives I could
>> dig up - That's how I came up with 2:1 for this one.  Other low-performance
>> drives will create the same problem when a 1:1 interleave is used.
>
>I have a Quantum Q280 internal 80 meg drive and a Quantum P80S external 80
>meg drive.  I've formatted them both with 1:1 interleave and I use mkfs gap
>of 1.  On one of the disks (the external), I have a 60 Meg MacOS partition
>in addition to A/UX data.
>Here's the question: if I accept Dave's advice and reformat both drives
>with 2:1 interleave, will I decrease performance when using MacOS?  I assume
>the answer is yes or Apple wouldn't recommend 1:1 interleave for Mac IIs.
>If that is the case, is what I have now a reasonable compromise?  Or would
>it be better to leave the outboard drive as is and just reformat the internal?

Both of the Quantum drives you have should perform best with a 1:1 interleave
as I think they both have at least partial track buffering.  When I recommended
2:1 for the interleave, I meant only for drives without this buffering.  If you
reformatted your drives with 2:1 Mac OS and A/UX performance would suffer.

You're right about drive configuration being somewhat of a black art.  And I
agree with you.  It probably won't get much better anytime soon.