[comp.unix.aux] file name length in A/UX

ko@eecs.nwu.edu (John Ko) (06/01/89)

I was wondering if the file name length of 14 in A/UX 1.0 can be
changed or has been extended in 1.1.

I have had some troubles downloading or un-taring file with long names.

			eecs.nwu.edu
			j.ko

johnston@Apple.COM (Ron Johnston) (06/01/89)

In article <10770002@eecs.nwu.edu> ko@eecs.nwu.edu (John Ko) writes:
>I was wondering if the file name length of 14 in A/UX 1.0 can be
>changed or has been extended in 1.1.

The limit of 14 characters comes from the System V file system.  This is
unchanged in A/UX 1.1.  File system performance is SIGNIFICANTLY improved,
though.

  Ron Johnston - A/UX Engineering - Apple Computer - johnston@apple.com

rpd@apple.com (Rick Daley) (06/02/89)

In article <10770002@eecs.nwu.edu> ko@eecs.nwu.edu (John Ko) writes:
> I was wondering if the file name length of 14 in A/UX 1.0 can be
> changed or has been extended in 1.1.

Nope, but there is a work-around which you might be able to use.  If you
are working in a network environment, you might have other machines around
which run NFS and use the BSD fast file system.  The fast file system lets
you have very long file names.  If so, you could create a directory on
such a machine and mount it on your A/UX machine via NFS.  The fast file
system seems to be one of the more commonly requested features for new
versions of A/UX.
                                           Rick Daley
                                           rpd@apple.COM