[comp.unix.aux] RAM configuration tricks on A/UX?

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (06/03/89)

Does anyone know any trick for violating the MacOS RAM configuration
rules when running A/UX?

More specifically, we have a number of A/UX machines with 4 1 Meg
simms. A/UX (with networking and X) runs much better in 5 Megs than 4.
On MacOS the only memory expansion we can do is add 4 more simms,
either 256K simms or 1 megs simms.

Neither of these options are attractive. 4 extra 1 meg simms per
machine is more than we can afford. On the other hand investing a lot
in 256K simms is wasteful, since they cannot be used if more memory is
added later.

I wish there was a trick that let us just add a 1 meg simm to the 4
already there. Every Unix kernel I have seen (prior to A/UX) has been
very flexible on sizing memory.  I don't know what the real issues are
on the MacII, but at the very least MacOS will not boot with 5 1 meg
simms, which gives no way to boot A/UX.
--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP

rmtodd@uokmax.UUCP (Richard Michael Todd) (06/04/89)

In article <4105@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>I wish there was a trick that let us just add a 1 meg simm to the 4
>already there. Every Unix kernel I have seen (prior to A/UX) has been
>very flexible on sizing memory.  I don't know what the real issues are
>on the MacII, but at the very least MacOS will not boot with 5 1 meg
>simms, which gives no way to boot A/UX.
 The reason you can't just stick in a single 1meg SIMM is due to the
hardware design of the machine, NOT the OS involved.  The data bus is 32 bits
wide and the SIMMS are only 8 bits wide.  The memory bank has to be able to
present a full 32-bit word to the CPU whenever the CPU accesses it.  When you
plug in a single SIMM into the memory bank, the CPU tries to fetch 32-bit
words from memory and gets 8 bits of data and 24 bits of garbage.  It just
won't work.  That's the price you pay for having a real 32-bit processor in
your machine, instead of an 8088 :-).
--
Richard Todd   rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us  or  rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
                                    aka     ...!sun!texsun!uokmax!rmtodd