[comp.unix.aux] A/UX hangs on boot - HELP!!!!!!

jlh@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (06/05/89)

Whatever it is, I've done it right this time.

When I try to boot A/UX, it displays the INIT SINGLE USER method and then
goes haywire. The cursor moves to the middle of the screen; the "Welcome
to A/UX" message is spaced funny; the TERM=(mac2) appears and I press ENTER
but A/UX doesn't recognize it. Then it prints the # and hangs - it
accepts no futher input. The only way out is the programmer's switch.

Heaven help me - what have I done???

Any ideas to get me back up and running would be gratefully accepted. I'm
desperate!!!!!!

Jan Harrington
Scholastech Telecommunications
husc6!stech!jlh or allegra!stech!jlh

	Miscellaneous profundidity:
		"No matter where you go, there you are..."
			Buckaroo Banzai

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (06/06/89)

In article <1113@stech.UUCP> jlh@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
>When I try to boot A/UX, it displays the INIT SINGLE USER method and then
>goes haywire. The cursor moves to the middle of the screen; the "Welcome
>to A/UX" message is spaced funny; the TERM=(mac2) appears and I press ENTER
>but A/UX doesn't recognize it. Then it prints the # and hangs - it
>accepts no futher input. The only way out is the programmer's switch.
>
>Heaven help me - what have I done???

You've managed to get the console's stty settings wrong and then you've
got them saved in /etc/ioctl.syscon. There are a number of things you
can do:

	1)	enter 'stty sane' followed by a linefeed (what there's
		no line feed on your keyboard! try ^J :-)

		this should usually get you back to a sane state
		(you should enter ^J to the TERM=... prompt also)

	2)	from sash remove /etc/ioctl.syscon (ie 'rm /etc/ioctl.syscon')
		init will reboot it and set it to a sane state when the
		system reboots

	Paul

--
Paul Campbell
Taniwha Systems Design			UUCP:		..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul