[comp.unix.aux] A/UX in Canada

ryan (Ryan Jorgenson) (06/10/89)

Can ANYBODY answer a few SIMPLE questions about A/UX?  Apparently none
of the "Official" sources here in Canada can.

I've tried all the "Authorized Apple Dealers" and even APPLE CANADA;
no answers.  Here are the questions:
    What does the Documenter's Workbench contain?
	(From a recent net article, I gather that it does include
	versions of troff, nroff, etc, but that was more than
	Apple Canada could tell me!!!)

    What does the Programmer's Workbench contain?
	(I have been trying to find out if A/UX includes a C compiler,
	 a native code assembler, YACC, LEX, etc, but nobody can tell
	me.  They all point out that it includes "C-shell, Bourne shell
	and Korne (sp?) shells", but its obvious that they don't understand
	the difference between a shell and a compiler)

    How do I get A/UX in Canada?
	(APPLE Canada tells me that they are "in the process of laying the
	foundations for the Authorization procedures to allow dealers to
	sell the product".  How's that again? A/UX has been around HOW long
	and they haven't even decided who is authorized to sell it in
	Canada?!?!?!!  Worse still, they tell me that until they have
	authorized dealers to carry A/UX, I can't buy it in Canada?
	(Reminds me of a certain classic TV commercial: Only in America you
	say? Pity.)
		The Authorized Apple Dealer I talked to said that the word
	he got from APPLE Canada was that they MIGHT sell A/UX to me IF I
	could prove that I wasn't going to need support.  HOLD ON A SECOND!
	Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't APPLE supposed to be TRYING to
	sell A/UX? Rather than fighting tooth and claw to PREVENT a sale?

Is there ANYBODY in Canada running A/UX? If so, HOW DID YOU PRY IT OUT OF
APPLE?!

     If I can manage to pry A/UX out of Apple Canada, how hard can it be
     to get it up and running? (I presently administer a network of 10
     Sun Workstations running SunOS, and I am reasonably familiar with the
     System V UNIX environment as well.)

     Sorry about all the flames here, but I can't understand why Apple is
     so anti-A/UX here in Canada.

     If anybody can answer any of these questions, I would appreciate it.

					Thanks.
Disclaimer: any and all opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily
  reflect those of the company.
ryan@amc-vlsi.uucp		|	Ryan Jorgenson
ryan@amc-vlsi.ucalgary.ca	|	The Alberta Microelectronic Centre

ifocs9d@aucs.UUCP (Rick Giles) (06/16/89)

In article <816@amc-vlsi.UUCP> ryan (Ryan Jorgenson) writes:
>Can ANYBODY answer a few SIMPLE questions about A/UX?  Apparently none
>of the "Official" sources here in Canada can.
>
>I've tried all the "Authorized Apple Dealers" and even APPLE CANADA;
>no answers.  Here are the questions:
>    What does the Documenter's Workbench contain?

The Documenter's Workbench is quite complete, with nroff, troff, psroff, etc.

>    What does the Programmer's Workbench contain?

C, assembler, FORTRAN 77, LEX, YACC, limited Mac Toolbox access, etc.

>    How do I get A/UX in Canada?

I got A/UX 1.0 directly from Apple Canada about 18 months ago. It was on
an external 80 meg drive and about $3,000! I got also got a full document
set for about $650.

>		The Authorized Apple Dealer I talked to said that the word
>	he got from APPLE Canada was that they MIGHT sell A/UX to me IF I
>	could prove that I wasn't going to need support.  HOLD ON A SECOND!
>	Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't APPLE supposed to be TRYING to
>	sell A/UX? Rather than fighting tooth and claw to PREVENT a sale?

At the time I bought it, I think I had the option of purchasing a support
agreement, but declined. A/UX has performed reasonably well since I bought it.
(At least until yesterday, when something gobbled up all my free space.
I just launched a query on the network about that.)

Also, the few technical questions I previously launched on the network were
ably answered on the network by people at Apple, Cupertino.

>Is there ANYBODY in Canada running A/UX? If so, HOW DID YOU PRY IT OUT OF
>APPLE?!

Money.

>     If I can manage to pry A/UX out of Apple Canada, how hard can it be
>     to get it up and running? (I presently administer a network of 10
>     Sun Workstations running SunOS, and I am reasonably familiar with the
>     System V UNIX environment as well.)

I had no problem setting it up. The manuals are quite complete. I'm connected
via Ethernet to a Sun 4 and a couple of Sun 3 workstations, and NFS, rlogin,
ftp, etc. all work well. Since Apple's 80 meg disk has little free space, I
find NFS especially useful.  Yellow Pages is also provided, but I don't have
a need for it.

I also installed sbprolog, and the X Window System, V11 R3, both from source,
and had no problems. I now have Apple's release of the X Window System,
and it's nice to be able to serve clients on the Sun 4. (If only I had
a 3 button mouse!)

Some other unsolicited observations:

1. My experience is that, with no other users, A/UX cc, ld, etc. take twice
as long as on our diskless Sun 3/60's.

2. The intergration between A/UX and Mac OS is an abomination. I have to
reboot the Mac to go from A/UX to Finder/Multifinder. I can only transfer
files from Mac OS MFS floppy to A/UX. I get around this by ftp to the Sun 4.
Presumably A/UX 1.1 is better.

3. If I had to do it again, I'd find out the part numbers and prices, and
then just place the order. I recommend getting the manual set. If you're
on an Ethernet network, get an Ethernet board. If you're using the X Window
System, you can install it from the sources.  I would expect no A/UX support
from Apple Canada.

>					Thanks.

You're welcome.

Rick Giles

Bitnet:   FRGILES@Acadia                        | Procrastinators
Internet: FRGILES%Acadia.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU | finish
UUCP:     uunet!dalcs!aucs!ifocs9d              | first.