[comp.unix.aux] A warning about leasing equipment - don't trust the salespeople!

jrg@Apple.COM (John R. Galloway) (06/16/89)

At least if you are a developer (partner), you can lease Apple equipment at
very nice terms from Apple Commercial Credit.  Not only that but you can
include 3rd part Apple compatable products on the lease as well.  This is great
and the people at Apple Commercial Credit are the best!  They are always
a pleasure to deal with no matter what issue you are deailing with.

My warning concerns 3rd party vendors.  Of the 3 that are/were included on
my lease, all three said that going through a leaseing company was no problem,
they do it all the time.  However when the rubber met the road in the accounting
dept things were a bit different.  Of the three, one flatly refused to do
business this way and wanted (and is getting) payment from me up front, the
second is going through the lease but wants to wait till I have all the
other equipment before they ship so they will have a minimum of time to get
their payment (which is not sent to all till all equipment is received) and
the third (which is MicroNet) said it would be no problem, and it was none.

So Apple Comercial Credit is a great place to do business (don't worry if
you don't know anything about leases, they will explain until you are an
expert!) but when dealing with 3rd parties, ask to speak with someone in
accounting before drawing up the lease paper work, it may save you having to
redo it!

apple!jrg	John R. Galloway, Jr.       contract programmer, San Jose, Ca

These are my views, NOT Apple's, I am a GUEST here, not an employee!!

aj1826@trotter.usma.edu (DiGangi Joe CPT) (06/19/89)

In article <32447@apple.Apple.COM>, jrg@Apple.COM (John R. Galloway) writes:
> At least if you are a developer (partner), you can lease Apple equipment at
> very nice terms from Apple Commercial Credit.  Not only that but you can
> include 3rd part Apple compatable products on the lease as well.  This is great
> apple!jrg	John R. Galloway, Jr.       contract programmer, San Jose, Ca

I am a developer, and I called Apple Commercial Credit almost immediately
after receiving this information (about the leasing program).  They gave me
another number to call to get the exact terms of the program.  When I called,
the person on the phone indicated that this was a _standard_ leasing program,
and there was not a discount to Apple developers, only that Apple had made
the program _available_ to developers.  What's going on?  Have the prices
changed?  I had thought the program would have been good, but I would have
ended up paying more per month for the leasing program than if I took out
a loan and _bought_ a computer (which I did, by the way).

Thanks,

Joe
--
CPT Joe DiGangi
Department of Mathematics, US Military Academy

jrg@Apple.COM (John R. Galloway) (06/20/89)

In article <1395@trotter.usma.edu> aj1826@trotter.usma.edu (DiGangi Joe CPT) writes:
>In article <32447@apple.Apple.COM>, jrg@Apple.COM (John R. Galloway) writes:
>> At least if you are a developer (partner), you can lease Apple equipment at
>> very nice terms from Apple Commercial Credit.  Not only that but you can
>> include 3rd part Apple compatable products on the lease as well.  This is great
>> apple!jrg	John R. Galloway, Jr.       contract programmer, San Jose, Ca
>>

>I am a developer, and I called Apple Commercial Credit almost immediately
>after receiving this information (about the leasing program).  They gave me
>changed?  I had thought the program would have been good, but I would have
>ended up paying more per month for the leasing program than if I took out
>a loan and _bought_ a computer (which I did, by the way).

I did not mean to imply that Apple certified developers would get a better
deal on a lease than from a standard leasing company, just that they offered
generally good (by leasing standards) terms and were very nice/helpfull to
deal with.  I am leasing 13K work of stuff for 2 years, 24*monthly payment is
1.17 * the total price, or 8.5% per year.  When its over I can either trade
it in (actually i can trade up at any time), or give it up, or buy it for at
MOST 10% of the purchase price which at MOST would put the rate at 13.4% per
year.  given the flexibility (I almsot certainly will want to trade up to a
faster machine within two years) seems pretty good to me.