[comp.unix.aux] Unisoft optimizing FORTRAN vs. f77

simon@alberta.uucp (Simon Tortike) (06/13/89)

Does anyone have some comments on how the Unisoft optimizing FORTRAN
compares with the f77 included in the A/UX v1.1 release?  The notes
in the APDAlog make various claims about speed improvements, but, in
the opinion of those who have used it, is it worth getting?
Furthermore, does it offer any additional symbolic debugging
power?
-------------------
Simon Tortike, Department of Mining, Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineering,
The University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, CANADA T6G 2G6.
simon@alberta.uucp || simon@cs.UAlberta.CA || Tel. +1 403 492-3338

ian@bilpin.UUCP (Ian Jones) (06/22/89)

In article <2311@pembina.UUCP>, simon@alberta.uucp (Simon Tortike) writes:
> Does anyone have some comments on how the Unisoft optimizing FORTRAN
> compares with the f77 included in the A/UX v1.1 release?

We have assisted a software developer in porting an extremely large FORTRAN
application to A/UX (1.1) . We encountered several problems with the standard
f77 compiler, many of which we worked around, but were finally beaten.

The Unisoft compiler coped well with the code, but I don't have information
on how fast or compact the code is, but the documentation contains extensive
notes on the different optimisations performed. It seems that the compiler
works hard to give good code.

As far as debugging goes, this compiler supports the '-g' option so that
the standard symbolic debugger (sdb) may be used, but be warned that it is
very difficult to debug programs which have been wholly or partially optimised.

I was most impressed that the compiler coped with such a large (several megs
of code, and many more of data) without complaint. I hope this helps!

Ian  Jones          SRL Data	      || Apple link : UK0001
UK A/UX National support organisation || UUCP	  : ian@bilpin.uucp
Phone:		    +44 1 485 6665    || Path	  : mcvax!ukc!icdoc!bilpin!ian