[comp.unix.aux] Mounting partitioned disk

nelson@udel.EDU (Mark Nelson) (06/27/89)

My neighbor's MacII CX with A/UX and two 80 meg drives just arrived.
Unfortunately, the documentation hasn't.  What he wants to do is
configure the external drive entirely A/UX, and split the internal
into half MacOS, half A/UX.  But I can't get A/UX to recognize
the partitioned internal drive.  What I did:

Build a ~40 meg A/UX "Usr" partition on the internal drive using the
MacOS utility "Apple HD SC Setup".

Boot A/UX and verify the partitioning of the internal drive with
"dp /dev/rdsk/c0d0s31".

Try a mkfs of c0d0s0.  No luck: it complained that any block count
I gave was larger than the physical size.  Same for c0d0s1 and c0d0s2.

As a sanity check, I built a file system on the floppy drive c8d0s0,
using diskformat and mkfs, and then mounting it.  Worked fine.

So, what am I leaving out for the hard drive?  Do I need to do a
diskformat of the partition?  I'm assuming the slice 0 (s0) is
the one I should specify, since this is the only A/UX partition
on the drive, and mount tells me that / is /dev/dsk/c5d0s0 (the
external drive).  I used Apple HD SC Setup since that was what
the diskformat man page said to use.

Thanks for any help.  I know I should wait for the manuals,
but the other parts of the system have been trickling in over
the space of three weeks, so who knows how long I would have to
wait!

Mark Nelson                 ...!rutgers!udel!nelson or nelson@udel.edu
This function is occasionally useful as an argument to other functions
that require functions as arguments. -- Guy Steele

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (06/27/89)

In article <18531@louie.udel.EDU> nelson@udel.EDU (Mark Nelson) writes:

>My neighbor's MacII CX with A/UX and two 80 meg drives just arrived.
>Unfortunately, the documentation hasn't.  What he wants to do is
>configure the external drive entirely A/UX, and split the internal
>into half MacOS, half A/UX.  But I can't get A/UX to recognize
>the partitioned internal drive.  What I did:

>Build a ~40 meg A/UX "Usr" partition on the internal drive using the
>MacOS utility "Apple HD SC Setup".

>Boot A/UX and verify the partitioning of the internal drive with
>"dp /dev/rdsk/c0d0s31".

>Try a mkfs of c0d0s0.  No luck: it complained that any block count
>I gave was larger than the physical size.  Same for c0d0s1 and c0d0s2.

Try running 'dp' and checking the partition info for the Use partition.  Last
I looked, HD Setup missed some of the A/UX fields.  Next, you need to use
'pname' to associate a partition on other than the boot device with a
particular slice.  On the boot device, slice 0 is the root partition, and
slice 2 is the usr partition, if there is one.  Non boot devices are not
automatically searched.

	pname -a -c0 -s0 "Usr" (use the actual name you gave it)
	mkfs /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0  (and fsck, etc.)
	mount /dev/dsk/c0d0s0 /mnt

ought to work.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

nelson@udel.EDU (Mark Nelson) (06/27/89)

Thanks to everyone who replied so quickly to my query.  The answer
was that I needed to use pname to identify the slice.