[comp.unix.aux] Tape Backup Problems a/ux 1.0 - 1.1

wmd@tippy.uucp (06/29/89)

I have A/UX 1.0 and am expecting 1.1 soon.  I have a 300 meg internal
hard disk with A/UX on an external 80.  When I partitioned the 300 meg disk
I did not create a Mac OS partition, just a UNIX one.  Here is my problem.

To back up the system on tape I boot the Mac OS and use the newest version
of Tape Backup.  Problem is that upon booting, the 300 meg drive does not
appear on the desktop (presumably because it has no Mac partition).  That
in turn, prevents Tape Backup from recognizing its existance, therefore
it doesn't display its partitions as being available for backup.

How do I back up the drive with Tape Backup?

Can I create another (Mac OS) partition without damaging any data on the disk?

Will this cause the Mac OS and Tape Backup to recognize the disk?

What procedure should I follow?  any suggestions...

Malcolm Duncan            | Internet: tippy!wmd@newton.physics.purdue.edu
Dir. Exec. Ed. Computing  | Duncan Communication Public Access UNIX BBS
Krannert School of Mgmt   | (317) 567-2143  24 hours, 300/1200/2400
Purdue University         | Rt #1 Box 98E, Battle Ground, IN  47920

donn@radar.UUCP (Donn S. Fishbein) (07/01/89)

wmd@tippy.uucp writes:
>To back up the system on tape I boot the Mac OS and use the newest version
>of Tape Backup.  Problem is that upon booting, the 300 meg drive does not
>appear on the desktop (presumably because it has no Mac partition).  That
>in turn, prevents Tape Backup from recognizing its existance, therefore
>it doesn't display its partitions as being available for backup.

I agree that Tape Backup 2.0 is pretty inflexible. Probably your best bet
is to upgrade to A/UX 1.1, which supports the Apple tape unit directly.
You need to reconfigure the kernel as explained on the "tc" manual page,
and then you can access the unit from A/UX, using tar, cpio or whatever
to directly back up A/UX partitions. I realize this doesn't answer your
question directly but it may solve your problem.
--
Donn S. Fishbein, MD, PhD        ..killer!radar!donn