[comp.unix.aux] Printing to AT / AT Coprocessing Card?

david@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (David Lassner) (06/25/89)

Page 10-1 of the A/UX 1.1 Network System Administration reference
says "Because of the high processing requirements of both AppleTalk
and the A/UX multitasking OS, AppleTalk under A/UX requires a coprocessing
card.  Contact your Apple representative for a list of cards that are
available from various vendors."  It goes on to give instructions for
installing the AppleTalk card.

Is this for real?  Do we really need a card to print to an AppleTalked
LaserWriter and if so, who makes them?
--
David Lassner, University of Hawaii Computing Center
INTERNET: david@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu      BITNET: david@uhccux

liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk (William Roberts) (07/04/89)

In article <4170@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> david@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (David Lassner) writes:
>Page 10-1 of the A/UX 1.1 Network System Administration reference
>says "Because of the high processing requirements of both AppleTalk
>and the A/UX multitasking OS, AppleTalk under A/UX requires a coprocessing
>card. ...
>Is this for real?  Do we really need a card to print to an AppleTalked
>LaserWriter

Yes, it's for real. The problems is to do with interrupt service times
and the very feeble hardware provided for the LocalTalk
interface. Basically that thing has a three byte buffer inside
it, so you have to pull those bytes out very, very quickly if
you don't want to lose packets. I did hear something about AT&T
requiring a minimum interrupt service time from anything to be
called "UNIX" and it being very hard to meet this with the Mac
II hardware. They could use a newer version of the chip (bigger
buffer), but the current trend at Apple seems to be using
add-in hardware for comms. In particular, they are keen on
co-processor cards, i.e. where you make the card do some of the
work and so off-load processing effort from the Mac II.

> and if so, who makes them?

The manual entry you quoted says it all:

> Contact your Apple representative for a list of cards that are
>available from various vendors."

I admit it is rather bizarre (it can talk LocalTalk when it's a
MacOS machine, what happened under A/UX?) but there does seem
to be a reason for it. At least your Apple representative is
likely to tell you ALL of the vendors who make such cards :-)
--

William Roberts         ARPA: liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk
Queen Mary College      UUCP: liam@qmc-cs.UUCP    AppleLink: UK0087

jlh@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (07/04/89)

in article <1147@sequent.cs.qmc.ac.uk>, liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk (William Roberts) says:
>>Page 10-1 of the A/UX 1.1 Network System Administration reference
>>says "Because of the high processing requirements of both AppleTalk
>>and the A/UX multitasking OS, AppleTalk under A/UX requires a coprocessing
>>card. ...
>>Is this for real?  Do we really need a card to print to an AppleTalked
>>LaserWriter
>
> Yes, it's for real. The problems is to do with interrupt service times
> and the very feeble hardware provided for the LocalTalk
> interface. Basically that thing has a three byte buffer inside
>> and if so, who makes them?
>
> The manual entry you quoted says it all:

While finishing writing my A/UX book, I've been using a CommCard from
SuperMac Technology. (The nice folks there loaned it to me). It has four
serial ports and can be used either for four serial connections OR one
AppleTalk connection. It retails for about $1000. It has nice installation
software (rebuilds the kernel for AppleTalk, etc.).

Jan Harrington
Scholastech Telecommunications
husc6!stech!jlh or allegra!stech!jlh

	Miscellaneous profundidity:
		"No matter where you go, there you are..."
			Buckaroo Banzai