[comp.unix.aux] multiple monitors under A/UX 1.1

pst@anise.acc.com (Paul Traina) (07/07/89)

Well,  I just received my 19" monochrome monitor & card for my MacII.  I
dropped everything in (after making sure the 19" card was in a nubus
slot closer to the fan, so it would become primary display) and booted.

Both monitors are usable under MacOS.  Great.  When I boot A/UX,  the
secondary monitor goes dead.  I have orderd Apple's X11,  which I have
been told does support dual monitors.  However, in the mean time,  I'd like
to at least be able to write junque out to the secondary monitor.  Is there
any support in the base A/UX 11 (or MIT sample X server)?

(What would be *really* cute is if I could run toolbox on my 13" color monitor
and X on my 19" monitor at the same time.  (Well, I can dream, can't I?))

Any tech info would be greatly appreciated.

					Paul
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats,
 for they are subtle and will piss on your computer."

>When I boot A/UX,  the
>secondary monitor goes dead.  I have orderd Apple's X11,  which I have
>been told does support dual monitors.  However, in the mean time,  I'd like
>to at least be able to write junque out to the secondary monitor.  Is there
>any support in the base A/UX 11 (or MIT sample X server)?

Nope. The second monitor can't be used under A/UX except under X. Maybe
someday.

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

You are false data. Therefore I shall ignore you.

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (07/08/89)

In article <892@anise.acc.com> pst@anise.acc.com (Paul Traina) writes:
>Well,  I just received my 19" monochrome monitor & card for my MacII.  I
>dropped everything in (after making sure the 19" card was in a nubus
>slot closer to the fan, so it would become primary display) and booted.

>Both monitors are usable under MacOS.  Great.  When I boot A/UX,  the
>secondary monitor goes dead.

Be thankful that it just goes dead.  My 24-bit color monitor (card) causes
A/UX to abort with a double-bus-panic if it is installed.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

steve@cpdaux.UUCP (Steve Lemke) (07/08/89)

}
}Be thankful that it just goes dead.  My 24-bit color monitor (card) causes
}A/UX to abort with a double-bus-panic if it is installed.
}
}Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

What brand of 24-bit card are you using?  Have you contacted the manufacturer
to ask if they intend to be compatible with A/UX?  A monitor board may work
under Mac OS without necessarily being compatible wit A/UX.  Special things
must be done to insure that the board will run under A/UX, and apparrently
not everyone is doing them.
--
----- Steve Lemke ------------------- "MS-DOS (OS/2, etc.) - just say no!"
----- Internet: cpdaux!steve@apple.com                GEnie:  LEMKE