[comp.unix.aux] Apple 40Meg Tape Drive for AUX

root@advsln.UUCP (root) (07/20/89)

I recently purchased an Apple 40SC tape drive.  Electronically everything is
fine.  I have loaded the tape drive device driver into the kernel with the
following commands :
			/etc/newunix tc
			/etc/autoconfig -v -S /etc/startup

and performed a mknod /dev/rmt/tc1 b 9 0 and mknod /dev/rmt/tc1n b 9 0 to
create the appropriate special files (tape is on SCSI id 1).

The problem is that : (1) I guessed at the minor number, though I thought 0
seems reasonable and (2) tar, cpio etc can not open the device.

I also set the owner and group on the special files to bin.

Can someone shed some light on my problem and how
does one go about formatting the tapes (diskformat does not seem to be
the right utility).

Thanks,

Bob

donn@radar.uucp (Donn S. Fishbein) (07/23/89)

root@advsln.UUCP (root) writes:
>...and performed a mknod /dev/rmt/tc1 b 9 0 and mknod /dev/rmt/tc1n b 9 0 to
>create the appropriate special files (tape is on SCSI id 1).

>The problem is that : (1) I guessed at the minor number, though I thought 0
>seems reasonable and (2) tar, cpio etc can not open the device.

>I also set the owner and group on the special files to bin.

>Can someone shed some light on my problem and how
>does one go about formatting the tapes (diskformat does not seem to be
>the right utility).

Here's a couple of lines from my /dev/rmt:
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys        9,  0 Jul  2 12:29 tc0
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys        9,  8 Jul  2 12:29 tc0n
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys        9,  1 Jul  2 12:29 tc1
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys        9,  9 Jul  2 12:29 tc1n
..(The minor number is the SCSI ID, or +8 for the tcXn device)

As far as formatting tapes, the only thing I've been able to figure
out is to use Tape Backup 40SC under MacOS.
--
Donn S. Fishbein        ..attctc!radar!donn

steveg@tove.umd.edu (Steve Green) (07/24/89)

]
[...]

Well, I just used newunix tc and then autoconfig and it did it all for me. I
used
	autoconfig -I -o /unix -S /etc/startup -M /etc/master

As fas as formatting, you can use mt(1).
	mt -f/dev/rmt/tc? format

PS: dont forget to re-kconfig. 8-(

					-steveg@tove.umd.edu

rick@Apple.COM (Rick Auricchio) (07/25/89)

In article <18692@mimsy.UUCP> steveg@tove.umd.edu.UUCP (Steve Green) writes:

>Well, I just used newunix tc and then autoconfig and it did it all for me.

>	autoconfig -I -o /unix -S /etc/startup -M /etc/master

    Yes, unfortunately the -I option (run init scripts) should be the default.
    Several drivers want that option specified on the autoconfig line.  The
    usual symptom is the lack of /dev nodes.

    Donn, your guess at minor numbers is close.  You probably already suspected
    that there are a couple of extra bits for things like no-rewind and such.

>As far as formatting, you can use mt(1).
>	mt -f/dev/rmt/tc? format

    Correct.  Expect a 45-minute completion, but at least you don't have to
    wait around for it.  Do it in the background.

>PS: dont forget to re-kconfig. 8-(
	Yes, if you've got useful stuff you like different.  You could always
	stash a copy of /etc/newunix in a safe place, then kconfig /etc/newunix
	so that you don't have to always redo the kconfig.
--
Rick Auricchio, Apple Computer Inc, 20525 Mariani Av MS 27AJ Cupertino CA 95014
sun!apple!rick   OR   rick@apple.COM     Malibu N4364D     (408) 974-4227