[comp.unix.aux] GNU gcc on Apple AUX 1.1

root@advsln.UUCP (root) (07/24/89)

I am attempting to build the GNU gcc on a MAC IIx running AUX1.1.

I have run the config.gcc with the isi68 argument.

In addition, I have modified the makefile to pull in libPW.a and to be build
with -DUSG as part of the CFLAGS.

Everything seems to proceed fine until the make process has to actually run one
of the executables built and it dies.  The line that fails is :

./genflags md > tmp-insn-flags.h

and the error is :

sh: {pid} Memory fault - core dumped.

The adb stack trace is :
main+0xC8:    read_rtx()
_start+0x2A:  main   ()

Has anyone out there build the GNU gcc compiler on AUX and is there some hints
that can be passed along.  I seem to be roadblocked on this problem.

Thanks,

Bob

steveg@tove.umd.edu (Steve Green) (07/24/89)

All the diffs you need to make gcc work under AUX are available on apple.com
via anonymous ftp.  I have built it, and it works for the most part but I have
run into problems using the -g option.  Alot of assembler errors.
					steveg@tove.umd.edu
PS: I have also run into the problem where I get a message that tells me that
I have conflicting defs for size_t.  /usr/include/sys/types.h? and the gcc-
includes do infact have defs for size_t.  Anybody know which one to use?

dwb@sticks.apple.com (David W. Berry) (07/26/89)

In article <18710@mimsy.UUCP> steveg@tove.umd.edu.UUCP (Steve Green) writes:
>All the diffs you need to make gcc work under AUX are available on apple.com
>via anonymous ftp.  I have built it, and it works for the most part but I have
>run into problems using the -g option.  Alot of assembler errors.
	There are now 3 patch files on apple.com which should be applied
to the previously (and in fact currently) distributed versions of gcc for
a/ux.  The problems with -g should go away if all three patch files have
been applied.  If you do that and are still having problems let me know.

>					steveg@tove.umd.edu
>PS: I have also run into the problem where I get a message that tells me that
>I have conflicting defs for size_t.  /usr/include/sys/types.h? and the gcc-
>includes do infact have defs for size_t.  Anybody know which one to use?
	I haven't run into the problem.  If you can ship me sample source
and tell me what version of A/UX you're running I'll take a look at it.

	David
Opinions:  MINE, ALL MINE! (greedy evil chuckle)

David W. Berry		(A/UX Toolbox Engineer)
dwb@apple.com		973-5168@408.MaBell		AppleLink: berry1

time@oxtrap.sendai.ann-arbor.mi.us (Tim Endres) (07/27/89)

In article <18710@mimsy.UUCP> steveg@tove.umd.edu (Steve Green) writes:

   All the diffs you need to make gcc work under AUX are available on apple.com
   via anonymous ftp.  I have built it, and it works for the most part but I have
   run into problems using the -g option.  Alot of assembler errors.

These assembler errors are probably optimization table overflows
caused by the brainless need to allocate static table arrays. Try
using the directive (-Wa,n, I think) to stop assembler optimization.

BTW: This optimization overflows, while they produce code, cause the
     code to be *very* incorrect.

   PS: I have also run into the problem where I get a message that tells me that
   I have conflicting defs for size_t.  /usr/include/sys/types.h? and the gcc-
   includes do infact have defs for size_t.  Anybody know which one to use?

I would use "int". A/UX says int ~ long, but when I run the size
program from the C++ release, it says a "word" is 16 bits. Why this
distinction I do not know, but I would stick to the declaration in the
/usr/include/sys/types.h.

BTW: The compiler under 1.0.1 never complained about size_t.