[comp.unix.aux] Generic disk Fatal Error

stacey@Apple.COM (Stacey Irvine) (08/03/89)

mjr@welch.jhu.edu writes:

> I have a MACII with 3 Apple 80SC drives hanging off it, at SCSI IDs
> 1,5, and 6. For some reason, when I try to first access a file system, I
> get this nice:
>
>       "Disk Read cXd0s0 Error: Cannot select SCSI Device
>        generic disk cXd0s0 Fatal Error: Logical block 0, physical block 0"
>
> and my fsck hangs. Later I can mount it fine, and if I unmount it and fsck
> it it behaves "normally".

I can recreate the same error message by trying fsck on a file system before
associating a slice number with that partition.

Do you have an /etc/ptab file?  What's in it?  Do the slice numbers in
/etc/ptab match what's in /etc/fstab?  Do the extra drives show up if you
try pname without any arguments?

Stacey Irvine             ||         Only My Opinions
A/UX Hotline 		  ||         Not My Employer's
stacey@apple.com          ||