[comp.unix.aux] Problems with rdump

davef@jessica.stanford.edu (David Finkelstein) (08/08/89)

We're having a problem with rdump.  We have a nice 8mm dirve attached
to one of our Suns, and we'd like to rdump our A/UX drives to it.
Unfortunately, when we try to run rdump, we get the following error:

DUMP: Cannot open /dev/dsk/c3d0s0

We can run /etc/dump.bsd just fine and dump /dev/dsk/c3d0s0 to
/dev/null (for all the good it does us).

Has anybody else had this problem?  How have people been able to get
/etc/rdump to work?

Thanks,

David Finkelstein
Stanford University
davef@jessica.stanford.edu

cander@unisoft.UUCP (Charles Anderson) (08/10/89)

From article <4304@portia.Stanford.EDU>, by davef@jessica.stanford.edu (David Finkelstein):
> DUMP: Cannot open /dev/dsk/c3d0s0
Are you sure it's the block device and not the raw device?

> We can run /etc/dump.bsd just fine and dump /dev/dsk/c3d0s0 to
> /dev/null (for all the good it does us).
> Has anybody else had this problem?  How have people been able to get
> /etc/rdump to work?

What are the permissions/ownership for dump/rdump and /dev/[r]dsk/XXX?
As I remember they're not correct in the distribution.  I'm not sure
what they should be, as my disks are 666 (why pretend that Unix is
secure?).  I know that dump and rdump should be setuid and should be
owned by someone other than root who can open the disk devices,
probably daemon or bin.  If root owns rdump, when it goes to rsh on to
your tape server it might get permission denied if the dumping host is
not listed in /.rhosts.  The bottom line is you can set the
permissions/ownerships up in any number of different ways depending on
how paranoid you care to be about security.  Anyone out there care to
offer "the best" configuration?

--

Charles.
{sun, amdahl, ucbvax, pyramid, uunet}!unisoft!cander

davef@jessica.stanford.edu (David Finkelstein) (08/10/89)

In article <2362@unisoft.UUCP> cander@unisoft.UUCP (Charles Anderson) writes:
>From article <4304@portia.Stanford.EDU>, by davef@jessica.stanford.edu (David Finkelstein):
>> DUMP: Cannot open /dev/dsk/c3d0s0
>Are you sure it's the block device and not the raw device?
>>
>> We can run /etc/dump.bsd just fine and dump /dev/dsk/c3d0s0 to
>> /dev/null (for all the good it does us).
>> Has anybody else had this problem?  How have people been able to get
>> /etc/rdump to work?
>
>What are the permissions/ownership for dump/rdump and /dev/[r]dsk/XXX?
>As I remember they're not correct in the distribution.  I'm not sure
>what they should be, as my disks are 666 (why pretend that Unix is
>secure?).  I know that dump and rdump should be setuid and should be
>owned by someone other than root who can open the disk devices,
>probably daemon or bin.  If root owns rdump, when it goes to rsh on to
>your tape server it might get permission denied if the dumping host is
>not listed in /.rhosts.  The bottom line is you can set the
>permissions/ownerships up in any number of different ways depending on
>how paranoid you care to be about security.  Anyone out there care to
>offer "the best" configuration?

>Charles.
>{sun, amdahl, ucbvax, pyramid, uunet}!unisoft!cander

It looks like we've gotten rdump to work.  Our solution was to chmod
/dev/dsk/c3d0s0 to allow others to read from it.

This brings up a couple of more questions:

*Are* the protections on the disks wrong in the distribution?  (They
come set as bwr------- and cwr-------)

Since /etc/rdump runs with setuid root, it shouldn't care what the
read permissions for others is.  So why does it seem to?  If it's
running as root, what's stopping it from reading the disk?
/etc/dump.bsd has no problems reading from the disk when dumping to
/dev/null locally (though I have some problems when trying the resotre
:)

During my testing, I tried to rdump to myself.  I kept getting
"permission denied."  So then I tried rsh, and that wouldn't work
either ("scout: scout: cannot open" -- the system name is scout).  But
rcp worked just fine.  So why does rcp work to copy a file to myself,
but rdump and rsh won't run?

Any ideas from the great A/UX minds out there would be appreciated.

David Finkelstein
Academic Information Resources
Stanford University
davef@jessica.stanford.edu